Backups after PP1 - "backup service is not running" and all troubleshooting steps do not resolve RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've installed PP1 and updated the Connector software - all went without incident except once completed my WHS machine reports "backup service not running". I've gone through all of the listed troubleshooting steps up to and including the Backup Database Repair; the Backup DB Repair completes and reports that all is well and the backup service is running.... except it is NOT. (Actually, when I check services, the WHSbackup service IS running, and I've tried stopping and restarting the service, reinstallation of the Connector software, multiple DB Repairs, and multiple reboots of the machine.

So I'm stuck and I'm looking for any possible solution short of wiping the machine and doing a complete rebuild. I've searched forums and Google and not found that this is a "common" issue in the context of PP1, but mostly older references to pre-PP1 when DB consistency was a more manual affair. Great, so one of the benefits of PP1 is supposed to be improving how to manage consistency errors and instead has created one!

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jcd

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:32 AM

All replies

• Jcd

Had similar problem... 07/24/08 no response.

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3660629&SiteID=50

Not sure if this will work for you... seems to have worked for me.

Known Issues for Power Pack 1 RC4

Tom Ziegmann [MSFT]

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3463492&SiteID=50

Maybe this should remain a sticky for now.

Backup:

·        In some scenarios, your Windows Home Server may run out of memory. You may see client-side notifications that the Backup service is not running. If you experience this issue, a workaround is presented below, and we ask that you please file a bug report with the requested information.

Workaround:

1.       RDP into your Server by using Remote Desktop Connection

2.       Open System Properties by clicking Start then right-click on My Computer and then click    on Properties

3.       Select the Advanced tab then click on  the Settings button under the Performance section

4.       Select the Advanced tab and click the Change button under Virtual Memory

5.       Increase minimum and maximum page file size to 3000MB if you have values smaller than that displayed for the pagefile size.

Good Luck

DL

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:48 PM
  •  cidjcd wrote:

Hi All,

I've installed PP1 and updated the Connector software - all went without incident except once completed my WHS machine reports "backup service not running". I've gone through all of the listed troubleshooting steps up to and including the Backup Database Repair; the Backup DB Repair completes and reports that all is well and the backup service is running.... except it is NOT. (Actually, when I check services, the WHSbackup service IS running, and I've tried stopping and restarting the service, reinstallation of the Connector software, multiple DB Repairs, and multiple reboots of the machine.

So I'm stuck and I'm looking for any possible solution short of wiping the machine and doing a complete rebuild. I've searched forums and Google and not found that this is a "common" issue in the context of PP1, but mostly older references to pre-PP1 when DB consistency was a more manual affair. Great, so one of the benefits of PP1 is supposed to be improving how to manage consistency errors and instead has created one!

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jcd

Hello Jcd,

In the post mentioned by Flexaplate, TomZ asks users to file a bug on Connect if they encounter this issue.  Would it be possible to file a bug for us? The known issues post was for RC4 and you appear to be experiencing this on RTW (you posted Pre-PP1 but I think you mean pre-RTW?).

Thank you

Lara Jones

Windows Home Server

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:39 PM