Moving MS Office to another drive RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased MS Office Professional Plus through a download.  I also got the backup disk.  My drive has become too full to defrag now and would like to move Office to another drive on the same computer.  If I was sure I could uninstall and then reinstall on the second drive using the backup disk it would be trivial, but I'm not.  Also have product code.  Please tell me I'm ready to roll, or whatever strange thing I have to do
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:44 AM

Answers

• I got this from my job.  I had to pay a small fee, then download it from Digital River.  Looking back at my original post, I see nothing to suggest counterfeit.  This is a genuine Microsoft product, yet when I mention I have it you become suspicious.

Hi Donkey61,

The fact that you posted in the Windows Genuine Advantage forum is why Noel focused on the Piracy aspect.  That and the fact that MS Office Professional Plus is a highly pirated version of Office.

That being said, since you state you bought the software through your job, it is clearly not Pirated. However this also make this question off topic for this Non-Genuine/Piracy focused forum. I recommend posting your question in the Office Answer forums at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• "Donkey61" wrote in message news:4fca3658-46e1-4519-8f84-71cc44ae842f...
    I purchased MS Office Professional Plus through a download.  I also got the backup disk.  My drive has become too full to defrag now and would like to move Office to another drive on the same computer.  If I was sure I could uninstall and then reinstall on the second drive using the backup disk it would be trivial, but I'm not.  Also have product code.  Please tell me I'm ready to roll, or whatever strange thing I have to do

Office Pro Plus is not available to the general public - it is sold ONLY in bulk to businesses (and academia) for use on their employees (and students) machines. If you bought this retail then you were sold a counterfeit.
    Having said that, it would be best to move your data to the 'new' drive rather than programs - this generally creates a lot more room than moving a relatively small package such as an application (even one the size of Office)
    You can do this very simply by changing the location of the My Documents folder to a (pre-named) folder on the 'new' drive. Right click on My Documents and select Properties - there should be a Location tab. select that and follow the instructions.
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:01 AM
  • I got this from my job.  I had to pay a small fee, then download it from Digital River.  Looking back at my original post, I see nothing to suggest counterfeit.  This is a genuine Microsoft product, yet when I mention I have it you become suspicious.

Having said that, I took your advice and moved the contents of the My Documents folder--all 117 megabytes--to a folder I made on the new drive.  I was looking to free up about 2.5 gig.  I had seen MSOPP is about one gig and this is why I wanted to move it.

I condemn piracy, but a witch-hunt won't help anyone's public image.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:57 PM

Hi Donkey61,

The fact that you posted in the Windows Genuine Advantage forum is why Noel focused on the Piracy aspect.  That and the fact that MS Office Professional Plus is a highly pirated version of Office.

That being said, since you state you bought the software through your job, it is clearly not Pirated. However this also make this question off topic for this Non-Genuine/Piracy focused forum. I recommend posting your question in the Office Answer forums at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/Office

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Ok.  I see I was wrong about the size of MSOPP.  Anyway, I had googled my query and it led here.  First I'm suspected of piracy, then told to leave.  Ouch!
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:09 PM
  • "Donkey61" wrote in message news:81e3bf15-ffa1-4a9c-adbf-54c4a6b050c3...
    Ok.  I see I was wrong about the size of MSOPP.  Anyway, I had googled my query and it led here.  First I'm suspected of piracy, then told to leave.  Ouch!

[still working on a response for you - will post it when I can]

--

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:37 AM
  • "Donkey61" wrote in message news:e638bf6d-f5e5-44fc-a3c4-95b7088284de...

I got this from my job.  I had to pay a small fee, then download it from Digital River.  Looking back at my original post, I see nothing to suggest counterfeit.  This is a genuine Microsoft product, yet when I mention I have it you become suspicious.

Having said that, I took your advice and moved the contents of the My Documents folder--all 117 megabytes--to a folder I made on the new drive.  I was looking to free up about 2.5 gig.  I had seen MSOPP is about one gig and this is why I wanted to move it.

I condemn piracy, but a witch-hunt won't help anyone's public image.

90% of the Office Pro Plus installs we see in these forums are counterfeit - yours is one of the other 10%, as by the sounds of it, it is part of the HUP program. Sorry if I came over as a bit of a heavy - I was trying to ensure that you knew what you had installed (it seems you did <g>)

A great way of seeing what's taking up space on your machine is SequoiaView - it gives a graphical representation of your drive in a way that is really easy to se what's actually taking up space. - http://w3.win.tue.nl/nl/onderzoek/onderzoek_informatica/visualization/sequoiaview/
    It works with all versions of Windows from win 98 to Vista (although I haven't tested it in 64-bit versions or in Win 7 - yet) and it's free!

Unless your system drive is very small, you should be able to create a fair amount of room just by tidying things up a bit.....
    How big is your TIF allowance? - set it to 40-80MB
    System Restore? - set the allowance to around 1GB for normal use - you might want to consider increasing it to 2GB for a large un/install like Office
    Delete the contents of the C;\Windows Temp folder (immediately after a reboot) except for files modified in the previous couple of days
    Likewise the content of the \[username]\Local Settings\temp folders for each user (it's amazing how much stuff build up in there over time

Your MSOCache folder can also be moved easily only in O2k3 - and will need a registry tweak to help it stay useful....
    There is a way to do it for O2k7 - but read this thread first!

...and here endeth the lesson :)
    If you want any more, then as Darin suggests, you should post it to the Answers forums.
    --

Friday, June 17, 2011 7:38 AM