Server Reinstallation... doesn't lose data???? RRS feed

• Question

• I've read up and down all over the place that if you do a Server Reinstallation, that no data in shared folders will be lost, only programs, settings, etc...

I've even done a server reinstallation once and found this to be true...

BUT! What if you have Three 1TB drives... and WHS is installed to one of them...
    the first two fill up completely, and then the main drive is nearly filled up... the drive that has WHS installed onto it..
    and you perform a Server Reinstallation.

I'm literally freaking out right now...
    because I'm going through a Server Reinstallation and realized it said "reformatting system drive" or something like that, which never really dawned on me... that's where a lot of my actual data is and all of the other drives are completely full so what exactly is happening to my data that was in shared folders that is/was on the system drive?!

Someone please enlighten me!
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:30 PM

Answers

• I've read up and down all over the place that if you do a Server Reinstallation, that no data in shared folders will be lost, only programs, settings, etc...

BUT! What if you have Three 1TB drives... and WHS is installed to one of them...
    the first two fill up completely, and then the main drive is nearly filled up... the drive that has WHS installed onto it..

because I'm going through a Server Reinstallation and realized it said "reformatting system drive" or something like that, which never really dawned on me... that's where a lot of my actual data is and all of the other drives are completely full so what exactly is happening to my data that was in shared folders that is/was on the system drive?!

It should still work.  Server Reinstallation only formats the system partition, not the entire drive.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by --DANNY-- Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:59 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:36 PM

All replies

It should still work.  Server Reinstallation only formats the system partition, not the entire drive.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by --DANNY-- Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:59 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:36 PM
  • thank you for confirming that!
    I was seriously panicking! =p
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:00 PM