new installation - system will not load WMS software on initial load/build RRS feed

• Question

• trying to build a WHS using a mix of new and old hardware.  Old AMD FX57 proc, Asus A8N-VM/nBp mobo, 2g Corsair RAM, New 500G WD carvier blue SATA HD.  when i try to load the WHS software off the disk, before i get past any step, my screen dispalys a bunch of ASCII charactors.  row of smilely face across the top, five rows of alpha charactors on the bottom.  the system just hangs until you reboot.

i've swaped out the DVD drive, tried a few old harddrives and still get the same result.  tried to install an old copy of windows XP on the original config and it loaded not problem (i aborted on the first screen so i did not try to load it completly).  I tried to access the WHS disk on my Desktop PC and could access it without any issues from file manager.  appears that all the hardware is fine and the disk is not damaged.

not sure what else to try?  suggestions?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 4:20 AM

Answers

• thanks for the help.  like i said in the post, i tired the disk in my Desktop PC and it worked so the disk is good and i tired an XP disk in the WHS box and the hardware worked, but could not get them to work together.  strange.  anyway,  after messing with it i end up putting the hardrive in my sektop pc and loading the WHS software to the HD that way.  then i reinstalled the harddrive into my WHS pc and booted.  after much fun wolking trough all the "New Hardware Found" messages and loading a few drivers, it works.

strange....

Thanks again for the help
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:43 AM

All replies

• bouseman said:

trying to build a WHS using a mix of new and old hardware.  Old AMD FX57 proc, Asus A8N-VM/nBp mobo, 2g Corsair RAM, New 500G WD carvier blue SATA HD.  when i try to load the WHS software off the disk, before i get past any step, my screen dispalys a bunch of ASCII charactors.  row of smilely face across the top, five rows of alpha charactors on the bottom.  the system just hangs until you reboot.

i've swaped out the DVD drive, tried a few old harddrives and still get the same result.  tried to install an old copy of windows XP on the original config and it loaded not problem (i aborted on the first screen so i did not try to load it completly).  I tried to access the WHS disk on my Desktop PC and could access it without any issues from file manager.  appears that all the hardware is fine and the disk is not damaged.

not sure what else to try?  suggestions?

You might have a bad DVD.  You could try contacting the vendor you purchased it from and ask them for an exchange.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:26 AM
  • Strange characters on the screen often also point to faulty memory or issues with the graphic card. Remove one of the memory modules and check the seating of the other module and the graphic card in their slots. If this still happens, remove the other memory module and test the first removed in another memory slot.
    Also the cables should be checked if connected well.
    (And take a look for that lost screw on the mainboard and the possible distance keeper in the wrong position below the board, if the system is fresh built.)
    Can you try to boot a Vista DVD? Does it show the same results?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 22, 2008 10:00 AM
  • thanks for the help.  like i said in the post, i tired the disk in my Desktop PC and it worked so the disk is good and i tired an XP disk in the WHS box and the hardware worked, but could not get them to work together.  strange.  anyway,  after messing with it i end up putting the hardrive in my sektop pc and loading the WHS software to the HD that way.  then i reinstalled the harddrive into my WHS pc and booted.  after much fun wolking trough all the "New Hardware Found" messages and loading a few drivers, it works.

strange....

Thanks again for the help
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:43 AM