Cannot turn on Automatic updates RRS feed

• General discussion

• This started the last few days and I have not been able to remedy the situation. When I try to turn on automatic updates I receive the following message; " Unknown problems are preventing Windows Live Onecare from turning on automatic updates at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact customer support."  I did contact customer support and received a response asking me to do the following;

"Thus, let us first try manually launching Automatic Updates by the following steps:

Turn on Automatic Updates manually

===========================

1. Click Start, click Run, type "wuaucpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Make sure it is selected to "Automatic (recommended)" but not other options.

3. Click OK and restart your computer.

4. Check if the error still appears.

Please let me know if the issue is resolved. If you find the option for Automatic Updates settings are grayed out, it can be caused by group policy. Thus, let us try changing a registry value by the following steps:

Change registry value

================

1. Click Start, click Run, type "Regedit" (without quotation marks), click OK.

2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand SOFTWARE, expand Policies, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, expand WindowsUpdate, highlight AU

3. On the right panel, double click AUoptions

4. If the value is less than 5 then right click on AUoptions and click on modify and change the value to 5 click on OK

5. Close the registry editor and restart the computer

If the issue persists, it would be appreciated if you could help collect the following information so that I can do a further research for you:

Information 1 OneCare Support Data

===========================

1. Please locate the following folder if Windows is installed on the C drive:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\

2. Double click the file named OneCareSupport or OneCareSupport.exe. It will begin to collect the information.

3. When it finishes collecting the information, note the path shown and name of the information file. (Generally, it is C:\OneCareSupportData.zip)

4. Please send this file to xxxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com and I will perform further research on our issue.

Information 2 Screenshot

======================

When OneCare indicates Automatic Updates is turned off, please not click the action item but perform the following steps to capture a screenshot:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "wuaucpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Open box, and then click OK. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard when the error is received.

2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.

3. In the Paint program, click the Edit menu, click Paste, click the File menu, and click Save, the "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: test. Then, save the screenshot file to your Desktop.

Note: Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box.

4. Please return to the Desktop and find the screenshot file we have saved and send it to me as a mail attachment to xxxx@mssupport.microsoft.com.

Please try the troubleshooting steps above and inform me of the results at your earliest convenience. If anything in my email is unclear, or if you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you for choosing Windows Live OneCare. I look forward to hearing from you."

I did try to e-mail this person back but received an undeliverable address.  I have tried all the recommended things and even uninstalled and reinstalled Onecare, same issue.  Any other suggestions?

Thank-you,

Rob

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:58 AM

All replies

• Did you reply to the support email or did you forward or send a new email to the address from within the message?

What is your support case ID?

Is Windows Automatic Updates actually enabled or is it off/disabled when you check the status in Control Panel / Automatic Updates?

If it is disabled, perhaps this article will help - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224

-steve

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  I did a reply and a new e-mail with the address provided and both were sent back to me undeliverable. The case number is SRX1053507657.  The Automatic Updates is set to off and the area is greyed out, not allowing me to change the setting. I tried that link you posted and it was already enabled for user 1.

Thanks,

Rob

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:17 PM
  • I've asked someone to look into your case, Rob. You may end up being sent over to Windows Update support, since this appears to not be a OneCare problem in that you are unable to turn on AU manually, either.

-steve

Friday, December 28, 2007 6:07 PM