slow virus checker - why? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

My Onecare virus checker is running so SLOW!  It manages to check a file every 5 seconds or so when doing a complete virus check.  My other computer it manages to whizz through.  ALthough this computer is on version 2.  Has microsoft introduced more bugs?

Has anyone any ideas on how to get around it?  Everyone else seems to say get rid of onecare... but i'd like to keep it because before it was working fine.

Help

Peter

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:10 PM

Answers

All replies

•  Peter987654321 wrote:

Hi,

My Onecare virus checker is running so SLOW!  It manages to check a file every 5 seconds or so when doing a complete virus check.  My other computer it manages to whizz through.  ALthough this computer is on version 2.  Has microsoft introduced more bugs?

Has anyone any ideas on how to get around it?  Everyone else seems to say get rid of onecare... but i'd like to keep it because before it was working fine.

Help

Peter

I've found the Bigger the Hard drive the longer it takes I got 2 320gig on my vista computer and on my xp 2 40gigs. The xp computer finishes in 20 minutes

Where the vista computer averages 1hr 45 minutes to 2 hours.

Earlier 2.0 beta use to be 24hrs on my vista computer

WLOC team cleaned it up pretty good but the scan engine doesn't like compressed files or cabs & zips it slows down depending on the size and how much data there is or how many zip files. this also includes any backup files.

Saturday, November 24, 2007 11:53 PM
  • If you are running any other real time protection - antivirus, antispyware, etc - it could seriously impact performance. I suggest contacting support to have this investigated - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:47 AM