This fall and OneCare renewal...... RRS feed

• Question

• Your EOL guidance says that OneCare renewals will be stopped "this Fall" and the sales will also cease....this fall. Since my current subscription is set to renew itself automatically by Oct 2, 2009, when will this be stopped?? Or will I be billed again for another year of OneCare support? I really wish to go to MSE when it is available. But I suspect Onecare will bill me on Oct 2 and MSE will come out after that, leaving me stuck with a OneCare subscription for another year and no refund option if I choose to switch to MSE. Please explain, with possible dates, what is going to happen and when, so I don't have to pay for something I won't be using by December 2009(hoping MSE will be out by then...).

Thanks!!
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:12 AM

Answers

• Though Steve already answered this for you in a previous thread, he wasn't certain what was happening at the time since the information was very new.

Since then we've all seen and heard of many others who've received their free 6-month extension to OneCare, so we know this is 'normal'.  You can check this yourself by simply logging in with your Windows Live account at billing.microsoft.com and clicking on the option to renew your subscription, just don't proceed (exit out) once you've seen what's offered.

No one has any specific dates and none will ever be needed, since when MSE is ready to release we'll all be told.  Until then, just keep using OneCare and then when MSE is finally available, simply decide when the time is right for you to make the switch.

I'll personally be waiting to switch my relatives systems until they either purchase a new Windows 7 system or Christmas vacation, whichever comes first.  No reason to rush when things have been working fine for them for over three years now.  That also gives me time to determine what we'll use for backup on each system, since that's the only other major component of OneCare we ever really used.

Rob
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:00 AM

All replies

• Though Steve already answered this for you in a previous thread, he wasn't certain what was happening at the time since the information was very new.

Since then we've all seen and heard of many others who've received their free 6-month extension to OneCare, so we know this is 'normal'.  You can check this yourself by simply logging in with your Windows Live account at billing.microsoft.com and clicking on the option to renew your subscription, just don't proceed (exit out) once you've seen what's offered.

No one has any specific dates and none will ever be needed, since when MSE is ready to release we'll all be told.  Until then, just keep using OneCare and then when MSE is finally available, simply decide when the time is right for you to make the switch.

I'll personally be waiting to switch my relatives systems until they either purchase a new Windows 7 system or Christmas vacation, whichever comes first.  No reason to rush when things have been working fine for them for over three years now.  That also gives me time to determine what we'll use for backup on each system, since that's the only other major component of OneCare we ever really used.

Rob
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Rob Koch:  You said this in your last reply to me - -.....Since then we've all seen and heard of many others who've received their free 6-month extension to OneCare, so we know this is 'normal'.  You can check this yourself by simply logging in with your Windows Live account at billing.microsoft.com and clicking on the option to renew your subscription, just don't proceed (exit out) once you've seen what's offered.----end of quote.

My service is renewed "automatically" for 49.95 on Oct 2 so I don't have an "option to renew it my self"....so will the system automatically give me a free 6 month renewal INSTEAD OF the regular renewal??  I personally have not seen ANY evidence this is happening. If so, as you state, that's great!!! It'll solve my concerns for this issue. I will be using MSE when it comes out and having OneCare on board till then is the plan for me. MSE is expected to provide some same-type protection as OneCare does now. This is good. OneCare has done a great job for me and I expect MSE to do the same. As for backups....well, I'm checking my options and will have a backup to local media that works with both XP and Windows 7 when I get to that point.
    Thanks!!
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:55 AM
  • When I log in at billing.microsoft.com with the Windows Live ID associated with my OneCare subscription, then select the Windows Live OneCare service and finally 'renew this service', I see a 6 month free extension offered.  If you are looking in the OneCare GUI on the local PC, you're not following my instructions since this can only be seen online at the billing.microsoft.com address listed.

I believe this may only be offered in the US, though I'm not certain that is true, but to this point I hadn't heard of anyone in  the US who didn't see this offered.  Other than an existing valid OneCare subscription, I'm not aware of any other requirement.  And yes, this is supposed to occur automatically for those covered by the free renewal.

So if you are certain you are logging in as above using the correct Live ID, I'm not sure why you'd only see a paid option.  You could send an email Billing Support request to ask, unless you'd prefer to call and wait in a phone queue.

Rob
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:16 AM
  • When I log in at billing.microsoft.com with the Windows Live ID associated with my OneCare subscription, then select the Windows Live OneCare service and finally 'renew this service', I see a 6 month free extension offered.  If you are looking in the OneCare GUI on the local PC, you're not following my instructions since this can only be seen online at the billing.microsoft.com address listed.

I believe this may only be offered in the US, though I'm not certain that is true, but to this point I hadn't heard of anyone in  the US who didn't see this offered.  Other than an existing valid OneCare subscription, I'm not aware of any other requirement.  And yes, this is supposed to occur automatically for those covered by the free renewal.

So if you are certain you are logging in as above using the correct Live ID, I'm not sure why you'd only see a paid option.  You could send an email Billing Support request to ask, unless you'd prefer to call and wait in a phone queue.

Rob
    Rob...this is unfortunate, but I don't get the same screen you see it seems. When I log in it shows my services and when I select Windows OneCare it shows I am "enabled", the renew date of Oct 2, 2009 and some FAQ with 4 items on it. There is no option for me to select "renew this service" nor is there an offer made or present. I would really like to send you a screen shot of this page I'm seeing. It's probably an outdated page or something....I've had OneCare for quite a while. I am NOT using any GUI to get what I see here.  Is there a way I can send a screen shot to you?? Otherwise, I'll go on faith that the system will do the right thing and give me the extension you described. Then I'll petition for more help  if they wrongly bill me....kind of like waiting to find the bridge to cross......
    Thanks

PS...there also is no option to "email billing support"....it offers me regular support thru the Microsoft support function or the forums for Live OneCare support.....let me know if I can get a screen shot to you so you can advise me accordingly....thanks again for you help and patience.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:33 PM
  • The free 6 month extension should happen automatically. If you are billed, you can contact support to get a refund for this. I'm not sure why you don't see the option to renew when you log in at https://billing.microsoft.com
    To contact support via email or phone, you can follow the instruction here to start the support case (they certainly don't make it easy!):

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hello Steve, in another forum, a MVP is suggesting uninstalling my Live OneCare due to the fact that is is being phased out. I just recently installed it and it seems like it works really good. I am sort of dissappointed now, and I guess MS doesn't plan to offer the same type of product going forward. But to recap the other MVP's suggestions: I am using XP  & he says uninstall Live OneCare, then reinstall AVAST and Spy Sweeper like I had before Live OneCare.  Beyond that, scan for potential malware using a program he suggests and also apply some maintenance and other Safe Web practices. Once I pull the Live OneCare, my IE8 will hopefully still be functional regardless, I hope.

Mr. Jumbles

Mike E. Likes It!
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:34 PM
  • If you are having no issues with OneCare, there is no reason to remove it now if you are a subscriber. If you are a trial user, feel free to use it as long as you wish, but unless you subscribe very soon, you will not be able to purchase a new subscription.
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/activation/oc_eol_guidance.htm

You can, however ignore the other advice given and instead remove OneCare and install Microsoft Security Essentials:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    It is free and provides very good antivirus and antispyware protection. You do not need Avast and Spysweeper.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, October 5, 2009 11:31 PM
  • Hi Steve, thanks for the really great response. I will leave it be and if and when they pull the Live OneCare plug, I will take your advice on the Security Essentials.  Currently I have the OneCare thru Quest Hi Speed Internet, so I don't really know when my sub will end, as we pay month to month and we have had the service since 2006 I think. Good Stuff!
    Thank you,
    Mr. Jumbles.
    Mike E. Likes It!
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:24 AM