Connector CD not working with SBS2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I had WHS CTP version up and running attached to my SBS2003 network. I upgraded to the RC and when I try to connect the SBS box, it comes back with "Windows Home Server Connector requires SP2" and will not install. Any workaround?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:22 PM

Answers

• Have you checked to make sure all the updates have been done on your SBS Server?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Sorry, I misread your original post. Here is the list of supported operating systems from Getting Started:

Supported Operating Systems for Home Computers

The following operating systems for home computers are supported to work with Windows Home Server:

The Windows Vista™ Operating System

·      Windows Vista Home Basic

·      Windows Vista Home N (European Union only)

·      Windows Vista Home Premium

·      Windows Vista Business

·      Windows Vista Business N (European Union only)

·      Windows Vista Enterprise

·      Windows Vista Ultimate

The Windows XP Operating System

·      Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

·      Windows XP Professional with SP2

·      Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2 and Rollup 2

·      Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2

·      Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 with SP2

·      Windows XP Tablet Edition with SP2

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:45 PM
  • For now, we just don't support any other operating system than stated in the Getting Started guide.  We left the ability to install the connector on SBS but require the SP.  I am not sure the full reasons of it.  I can only assume that installing the connector on SBS without the SP has caused issues and thus is requiring the SP.  In the future there maybe support for Windows Home Server connector with SBS but for now there is none.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:59 PM

All replies

• No. The XP client computers really need SP2 installed.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Have you checked to make sure all the updates have been done on your SBS Server?
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:15 PM
  • I have not installed SP2 on the SBS box due to these issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912

Personally, I would not require SP2 to be installed on SBS (yes, XP I understand) due to these problems. A service pack should never be required if it causes issues like these, several of which would affect us. Can a new connector be made that would not require SP2 on SBS?

Friday, June 29, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Sorry, I misread your original post. Here is the list of supported operating systems from Getting Started:

Supported Operating Systems for Home Computers

The following operating systems for home computers are supported to work with Windows Home Server:

The Windows Vista™ Operating System

·      Windows Vista Home Basic

·      Windows Vista Home N (European Union only)

·      Windows Vista Home Premium

·      Windows Vista Business

·      Windows Vista Business N (European Union only)

·      Windows Vista Enterprise

·      Windows Vista Ultimate

The Windows XP Operating System

·      Windows XP Home with Service Pack 2 (SP2)

·      Windows XP Professional with SP2

·      Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2 and Rollup 2

·      Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2

·      Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 with SP2

·      Windows XP Tablet Edition with SP2

Friday, June 29, 2007 7:45 PM
  • As DocGuy has stated, we do not support SBS2003, so I am really unsure if it will even work with the SP applied.  If you'd like to test it out on your system, please update your SBS 2003 server and see if the connector installs correctly.  However, if it does not our team cannot really support it.  Other forum users maybe able to help.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 7:52 PM
  • We support SBS2003 and it will work with the SP applied.

Friday, June 29, 2007 8:36 PM
  • I know it worked with the CTP version, but not RC. Like I said earlier, I do not wish to deploy SP2 on the SBS box due to the issues that have even been noted by Microsoft as problems. Is there a way to use the connector without SP2 on SBS2003 or can one be made? If MS itself acknowledges that there are problems with SBS2003 SP2 and it is not recommended to install if the system is running applications that it would affect, why would it be mandatory to have SP2 for other software? There are too many bugs in SBS2003 SP2 for it to ever be installed on anyone operating ISA or with Vista systems in their network. This is a killer.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:17 PM
  • For now, we just don't support any other operating system than stated in the Getting Started guide.  We left the ability to install the connector on SBS but require the SP.  I am not sure the full reasons of it.  I can only assume that installing the connector on SBS without the SP has caused issues and thus is requiring the SP.  In the future there maybe support for Windows Home Server connector with SBS but for now there is none.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:59 PM
  • But SBS2003 w/o SP2 worked just fine with the CTP release. I am seriously considering wiping the WHS RC and going back to the CTP. Any idea how long it will remain a viable system. Is there a drop dead date on the CTP release where it will no longer run?
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 1:02 PM
  • You have 180 days.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 1:46 PM
  •  dsol wrote:
    But SBS2003 w/o SP2 worked just fine with the CTP release. I am seriously considering wiping the WHS RC and going back to the CTP. Any idea how long it will remain a viable system. Is there a drop dead date on the CTP release where it will no longer run?

The connector has changed since CTP and now needs to have SP2 for SBS.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 10:25 PM
  • But SP2 breaks some SBS2003 servers. Why in the world would it be required if it breaks systems? That is the question that bears answering.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Service packs fix security problems, add new functionality and by that keep your system safe. On the supported client list there is NO SBS2003..

If you take a close look at the KB article you mentioned for SBS2003, you see that there is a work around for ALL the issues mentioned. The KB article also states it COULD occur.. not that it WILL occur.

In my opinion you just need to update the SBS2003 to SP2. The fact that the connector did work before does not guarantee it will work in a later version of the BETA software....

Give the developers a break.. they are working very hard (i hope Smile )

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:23 PM