Unable to run reports from crm 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running SQL Sever 2005, SQL Server 2008 64-bit default Instance, Sql Server 64-bit 2008 named instance running on same machine. (windows server 2008) 'machine 1'
    Active directory on 'machine 2'   (windows server 2008)
    CRM 4.0 application on 'machine 3'  (windows server 2008)

Successfully deployed CRM 4.0 on machine 3 and the data tier on machine 1 on SQL server 2008 named instance, The only area I'm having problem with is Sql Reporting service 2008. I am unable to run reports from CRM 4.0 and receving the following error,

Error Description:
    The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

Error Details:
    The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

Full Stack:
    [WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.GetSecureMethods()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.IsSecureMethod(String methodname)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.SetConnectionSSLForMethod(String methodname)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices2005.Execution.RSExecutionConnection.LoadReport(String Report, String HistoryID)
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.GetExecutionInfo()
       at Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ServerReport.SetParameters(IEnumerable`1 parameters)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Reporting.SrsReportViewer.ConfigurePage()

[CrmReportingException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]
       at Microsoft.Crm.Web.Reporting.SrsReportViewer.ConfigurePage()
       at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Controls.AppUIPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

[HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.]
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.inbox_crmreports_rsviewer_reportviewer_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Other Message:

Error Number:
    0x80040494

Source File:
    Not available

Line Number:
    Not available

SRS data connector is installed on 'machine 1'

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:57 PM

All replies

• Sounds like it's a problem with SRS configuration rather than CRM. SRS can be tricky to configure due to Kerberos authentication issues, SPNs, etc.

First things first, have you checked that Reporting Services is configured and working correctly?

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Yes Reporting services and and reports are working properly. have checked all the security settings, reports are opening in reports manager. 

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:22 PM
  • I've just noticed that your errors indicate an error with anuthenication of SQL Server 2005. However, you've told me that SQL Server 2008 is configured. Is there a reason why SQL Server 2005 is also installed on the database server? -- it's a pretty unusual set up

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:28 PM
  • that thing comes in my mind too, So i already tried to run the reports by stopping sql 2005 all services. for reconformation about this conflict i checked this thing in windows registry and deployment manager too, every thing is configured properly.   

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Machine 1 is our database server, we are upgrading our databases into sql 2008 but you know these types of migrations take time so sql 2005 is still in use for some applications.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Junaid, it sounds like you are migrating from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 by installing SQL Server 2008 on your production database server? I've no idea whether CRM can be installed against a database server with two versions of SQL Server and SQL Reporting Services installed on it. Certainly not a recommended design you're likely to read about in the implementation guide.

I would recommend installing SQL Server 2008 on a new test server, carrying out your tests and then migrating your SQL Server 2005 database to new production server. Trying to in-place upgrades of operating systems and database servers is just such a high risk activity that it's not worthwhile.

Regards, Neil

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:42 PM