Cloned WHS install onto a new drive, now server backup constantly fails on "Operating System" RRS feed

• Question

• I decided to upgrade the system drive in my WHS 2011 server with a 60GB SSD. To do this I cloned the current system drive onto the new hard drive using Acronis True Image 2012, all successful, after the cloning, I shut down my server took old the previous system drive, booted it up went into the BIOS and set the SSD as priority. All good so far, speedy boot up and login, everything working.

Problem is the server backup now errors. It starts and goes through the entire process but will end up saying Unsuccessful and says the Operating System couldn't be backed up. Sadly the logs just say the C:/ drive can't be backed up and given no reason as to why in the event log. I also get a Dashboard alert which states that some items in the backup don't exist anymore:

The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 0

Perhaps I was too hasty to perform such an upgrade, but I honestly couldn't see why this wouldn't work. I guess the server could be looking for the Operating System at its old hard drive signature/guid,

Is there anyway to solve this or is just better off reinstalling?

Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:25 PM

Answers

• For assistance with problems caused by a third party tool, you really are much better off asking the vendor for that tool. In this case, that would be Acronis.

Probably, though, something has changed about the data Windows uses to identify the disk. There may be a way to fix it, but you would really be much better off simply starting over.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:06 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:52 AM

All replies

• For assistance with problems caused by a third party tool, you really are much better off asking the vendor for that tool. In this case, that would be Acronis.

Probably, though, something has changed about the data Windows uses to identify the disk. There may be a way to fix it, but you would really be much better off simply starting over.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:06 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Yes it has probably got messed up, so a re install its probably the best option without have to hack about with settings and stuff. I don't think Acronis is to blame, Its probably likely that WHS 2011 doesn't really like having its Operating System drive changed when its all connected up to varies areas of the OS.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:02 AM
  • In addition in the past, I know WHS doesn't like it when a clients hard drives is changed. I had to replace the hard drive in one of my laptops once and WHS wouldn't back it up after I cloned the hard drive onto the new one, I had to reinstall the connector for it to backup again. Its likely the backup might be still looking at the old Volume guid and hence fails.

I guess a reinstall is in order later tonight!

Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:09 AM
  • In addition in the past, I know WHS doesn't like it when a clients hard drives is changed. I had to replace the hard drive in one of my laptops once and WHS wouldn't back it up after I cloned the hard drive onto the new one, I had to reinstall the connector for it to backup again. Its likely the backup might be still looking at the old Volume guid and hence fails.

With Windows Home Server, the recovery method of choice is to restore the most recent good backup to the new client hard drive, using the bare metal restore capability.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Then I will be sure to try it in the future should I need to. However I have managed to install WHS onto the SSD cleanly, but obviously to circumvent the 160 GB requirement I had to do a Unattended install with the cfg.ini method. It works, just takes a while to get BIOS and cfg settings perfectly for the installer to go through without any problem.

I haven't tested OS backups again yet, but seems its a clean install, I don't think there will be any issues. I'll see how it is shortly.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:53 PM