none
Product Activation Problem :( RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

I have currently re-setup my old computer for my dad which i got working 100% perfectly, until now.

Out of no where today, when i turn the computer on, it says "Your product of Windows XP needs to be Activated in order to sign in. Would you like to do so now?" and when i click Yes, it pops up with the activation screen and says "Your Windows XP is already activated". When i click OK, it just does the same thing over and over and will not let me sign in. Can anybody PLEASE HELP ME, im about to go insane!!!

Thanks alot!

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Jekenga,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hello Jekenga,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Thank you for your help, but i cannot even log into my computer, therefore i cannot even access ANY menus or anything. All my trouble happens before it logs me in. If i boot my PC with a new Windows XP disc in it and i can reinstall windows, will it format my computer? or will i still have access to my saved files and programs?

Thankyou

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:29 AM
  • Greetings,

You may be able to do a repair on your Windows XP install when booting from the CD, however with any other major operation/repair on a computer it is always highly recommended to backup any important documents before you proceed just incase something does not go as planned.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manger

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:12 PM