Windows Home Server full installation fails but Evaluation Copy works fine RRS feed

• Question

• I succesfully installed WHS 120 day evaluation copy and used it for a couple of months.  I liked it, so I bought the retail version to install.  The first attempt at "reinstallation" went fine until it stopped with an error message that it couldn't find a certain file.  Since I was already planning to add a bigger, faster HDD, I figured I would just install it on the new HDD.  That too went fine until on the final reboot, I get the message, "invalid or missing boot partition."  Serveral reformats and reinstallations produced the same results. 

Since I never had this issue with the evaluation version, I thought I would try it again just to see what would happen.  It installed fine.  Given that the evaluation version installs on both HDDs without a hitch, it does not seem to be a hardware issue.  What do I need to do to get the full retail copy to install and run?
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:04 PM

All replies

• I succesfully installed WHS 120 day evaluation copy and used it for a couple of months.  I liked it, so I bought the retail version to install.  The first attempt at "reinstallation" went fine until it stopped with an error message that it couldn't find a certain file.  Since I was already planning to add a bigger, faster HDD, I figured I would just install it on the new HDD.  That too went fine until on the final reboot, I get the message, "invalid or missing boot partition."  Serveral reformats and reinstallations produced the same results. 

Since I never had this issue with the evaluation version, I thought I would try it again just to see what would happen.  It installed fine.  Given that the evaluation version installs on both HDDs without a hitch, it does not seem to be a hardware issue.  What do I need to do to get the full retail copy to install and run?

See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? (although it sounds like you are having a different issue).  You might have bad media or a DVD drive that's having issues.  Do you have a different DVD drive you could try?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 5:17 AM
  • I did look at that FAQ, albeit before I attempted my own upgrade, and you are correct that my issue is different.  I am pretty sure it's not the DVD drive in that the installation gets far beyond where the DVD drive is even being used.  The error occurs on the last reboot after installation so the DVD drive is not even in play.  It's as if the installation process didn't build the boot partition properly on the HDD.  The only thing I can come up with is the retail install disk is somehow not working properly, as opposed to the trial disk that I burned.  The fact that installation gets as far as it does makes me question this though, so I am looking for some guidance from folks with far more knowledge than myself.

Thanks.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:13 AM
  • Is the system volume the only disk?
    If not, you might check, if the Bios changed the boot sequence of the disks and the system attempts to boot from the wrong drive. (I had this happen one time in the past, also during installation.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Yep, only one HDD installed.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:00 AM
  • I did look at that FAQ, albeit before I attempted my own upgrade, and you are correct that my issue is different.  I am pretty sure it's not the DVD drive in that the installation gets far beyond where the DVD drive is even being used.  The error occurs on the last reboot after installation so the DVD drive is not even in play.  It's as if the installation process didn't build the boot partition properly on the HDD.  The only thing I can come up with is the retail install disk is somehow not working properly, as opposed to the trial disk that I burned.  The fact that installation gets as far as it does makes me question this though, so I am looking for some guidance from folks with far more knowledge than myself.

Thanks.

Just to make sure, you are leaving the DVD in the drive the entire time, right?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:38 AM
  • Yes.  Keep in mind that I only have this problem installing from the retail DVD, not the trial version that I burned, and it has produced the same results on multiple HDDs.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:58 AM
  • Can you try to clean up the volume with diskpart /clean as described in this FAQ before attempting another install?
    If it is an SATA disk, could you try to change the controller to IDE mode?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:01 AM