none
SyncToy 2.1 Preview confused if file names differ only in case RRS feed

• Question

• if a file name only differs in case, SyncToy gets confused and wants to overwrite the files in both directions , e.g. comparing

c:\somefolder\someFile   vs.  \\somemachine\someotherfolder\somefile

(where these files and timestamps are otherwise identical), results in two actions listed in the Preview when the preview is executed for the first time:

Overwrite c:\somefolder\someFile   ->  \\somemachine\someotherfolder\somefile
    Overwrite \\somemachine\someotherfolder\somefile -> c:\somefolder\someFile  

However, when running the folder pair, these actions are not executed. Subsequent preview invocations do not list the above actions anymore.

Both machines are running Vista with NTFS partitions.

I can live with that behavior, although the preview is somewhat confusing.

However, one could argue that SyncToy should report a conflict here, and that the file names should be changed on one side or the other.

Friday, December 4, 2009 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi -
    This is expected behavious ( though I agree the preview is a little confusing). We want to sync the renames of the files ( including case changes on the files) so we detect that the files are different and report this in preview. When actually going in to do the sync - we see that the files are the same and that there is no point in sync'ing the file stream over so we just do the rename on the destination side.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• same bug...how did they test this build?  simple renaming file on one side and this file no longer the same on other
    fie
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi Andreas and ■Krep■,

Thank you for reporting this issue! And sorry for the inconvenience.

I am trying to give some help, both for you and our developpers. Would you mind describe your scenario in more details, please, so that I can repro your problem?

Normally, when you change a file’s name, its timestamp will change, too. So your problem is a rare occurrence, and we need your help on what had made your 2 file only different with their names. How these files were created and renamed? Is there some special software or device cause such scenarios? Our developpers are not able to do anything until they know what had happened and how to repro the scenario, no matter how they want to fix the bug. That is why I ask for more information.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:43 AM
  • If you go to a command prompt and rename "somefile.txt" to "SOMEFILE.TXT" in one of the folder pairs SyncToy 2.1 will consider this file different from the "somefile.txt" in the other folder pair even though the date/time stamps are the same.  We have a program that can do this to an entire folder and have to run it against both folder pairs so that SyncToy 2.1 doesn't report them different.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Hi -
    This is expected behavious ( though I agree the preview is a little confusing). We want to sync the renames of the files ( including case changes on the files) so we detect that the files are different and report this in preview. When actually going in to do the sync - we see that the files are the same and that there is no point in sync'ing the file stream over so we just do the rename on the destination side.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:16 PM