none
timestamps of posts RRS feed

• Question

• Timestamps of other peoples' posts seem to appear in the localtime of person who posted them... why is this?  Can't the forum software normalize them to each viewer's local time?  or at least to UTC or GMT?  This is an issue b/c the "xx hours ago" timestamp is very different from the date/time given across posts, for any particular timezone.

Thank you.
    'blog: http://diakopter.blogspot.com/ JSMeta: http://jsmeta.org/
    Friday, July 10, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

• The change made around UTC was limitted only to the date times in the atom feeds, not the general date times of posts rendered in the ux. Of course we'll verify the atom fix didn't make its way into the ux somehow, but it wasn't supposed to. We do have a design change to bring back the local date time via javascript etc, but I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon, not a high priority change request.

In any case, we'll validate there isn't something wrong with posts assuming local date time.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:11 PM
    Answerer
  • The post above I made friday is showing up correctly as the UTC date time of 'Friday, July 10, 2009 6:39 PM'. This is UTC date time of my post. So I'll need some help or better examples. As for the RSS feeds being delayed a couple of hours, is that for the atom feeds (when you click the forum syndication button in the forums user interface?), or can you provide the url for that issue so I can take a look? I don't think there should be delay in the forum atom syndication. The older rss formats users still can access if they subscribe prior to end of May have some latency.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:17 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• There was a change made in the update deployed yesterday that corrected a V4 bug where the Redmond timezone offset got incorrectly handled when the post was rendered.  It ought to be back to UTC now.  V3 used Javascript/Ajax to display local time, I doubt we'll see that back soon.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 5:40 PM
  • The change made around UTC was limitted only to the date times in the atom feeds, not the general date times of posts rendered in the ux. Of course we'll verify the atom fix didn't make its way into the ux somehow, but it wasn't supposed to. We do have a design change to bring back the local date time via javascript etc, but I wouldn't expect that to happen any time soon, not a high priority change request.

In any case, we'll validate there isn't something wrong with posts assuming local date time.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, the bug would still be there then.  Timestamps are off by 14 hours in the summer, 16 hours in the winter.  Twice the Redmond UTC offset.  They probably use the wrong sign when storing the timestamp and incorrectly apply the offset again when retrieving it.  This was discovered a while ago.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Hans, can you point me to a specific example so I can log it to test? thanks!
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Write down the post times for this thread, come back 24 hours from now.  The original bug report is here.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:57 PM
  • OP here.  I should note that there is another issue (that I'm guessing is related) - it seems that some posts take quite a few hours to appear in the RSS feeds...  which is sorta disruptive to as-synchronous-as-possible interactivity on a forum.  Also (and I can't prove this either) I suspect the thread lists are not correct when ordered by recency.  Or perhaps I'm just being deceived when posts appear on the feeds and thread lists, but their last post's timestamp is so many hours off.  Dunno.  Sorry for the unhelpful report. :)

'blog: http://diakopter.blogspot.com/ JSMeta: http://jsmeta.org/
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:46 PM
  • The post above I made friday is showing up correctly as the UTC date time of 'Friday, July 10, 2009 6:39 PM'. This is UTC date time of my post. So I'll need some help or better examples. As for the RSS feeds being delayed a couple of hours, is that for the atom feeds (when you click the forum syndication button in the forums user interface?), or can you provide the url for that issue so I can take a look? I don't think there should be delay in the forum atom syndication. The older rss formats users still can access if they subscribe prior to end of May have some latency.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:17 AM
    Answerer