WHS Connector needs to work on Windows Vista 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I was unable to get the Windows Home Server Connector software to load on my Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit computer.  Without connector, backing up does not appear to be possible, though I can see the shared folder.  Is there any plans to add a 64 bit version of Home Connector?

Thank You,

James D. McDaniel

Austin 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:03 AM

Answers

• Microsoft has said that they are working on a 64 bit client for WHS. They have not given a time frame for release, and (as far as I know) they don't have anything in beta test status. So it will probably be a while before we see it.

It's my understanding that the lack of a 64 bit Vista client is because of a last minute change to some component of Vista x64 that's used by WHS. I don't know what the component is, what the change was, or any other details.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:18 PM

All replies

• 64-bit support is a heavily voted on 'bug' over on Connect... with any luck it we'll get one by RTM time... however they have been pretty clear on 64-bit support not being planned currently.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:47 AM
  • I agree with the need for 64-bit support.  I have 3 laptops and 1 desktop at home, and 3 of the 4 are running 64-bit XP or Vista, I will not buy this product without 64-bit support.  Right now I'm having fun see how far I can stretch it (Active Directory, WSS 3.0, I might even check if I can get Exchange loaded on it).
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:13 PM
  • I also agree with the need for a 64-bit version of Home Connector. While most of the systems on my home network are x86, my Media Center is a Vista Home Premium 64-bit machine and would get the most use out of the Home Server.

Seeing that the Home Connector would not work on my 64-bit box has been the biggest disappointment of my evaluation so far...

~Jaker

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

As has been posted by the WHS Team and repeated a number of times, they ARE working on this, but there have been problems that even the Vista Team haven't, (or hadn't,) yet sorted out.

There is also the point that there is only so many hours in the day for these guys to work, plus the pressures of the Marketing Dept., to get this out to the punters.

Colin

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Just wanted to be another voice asking for a Connect Client for 64 bit Vista.  I was very suprised to see it wasn't native.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Microsoft has said that they are working on a 64 bit client for WHS. They have not given a time frame for release, and (as far as I know) they don't have anything in beta test status. So it will probably be a while before we see it.

It's my understanding that the lack of a 64 bit Vista client is because of a last minute change to some component of Vista x64 that's used by WHS. I don't know what the component is, what the change was, or any other details.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:18 PM
  •  

So here it is mid-November, HP has launched the MediaSmart product to much fanfair... and where is the 64-bit connector?

I'm pretty ticked off that none of the product specs on Amazon alerted me to this fact - that I only found out when I got the error from the HP installer saying the MediaSmart could "not be installed on this version of Windows (Ultimate-64)". What a let down; I expect HP will be getting thier product back since like others on this thread I have more 64-bit systems at home than I do 32-bit.

I sure wish MS would decide if they want to support 64-bit or not and either do it and do it right, or just give it up to Apple for the 64-bit platform.

Anybody out there hear anything new about a 64-bit connector?

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:24 PM
  •  

not entirely "new info" but it would still be good for you to read through this thread.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 11:27 PM
  • The WHS team are working on a 64-bit connector, it is coming as has been stated numerous times in the forums, and will probably be available early next year.

As annoying as it is, everyone wil just have to be patient for a little while longer....

Andrew

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 9:28 AM