HS Recorded TV folder? RRS feed

• Question

• My TV Recordings are not getting moved to the HS.  In activity, I’m getting the error “The network name cannot be found.” What folder is the Media Center trying to move the files to? 

Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• WHS will move your recordings to \\{SERVER}\Recorded TV.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Thanks.  That is what I have. Typing that path in the run box opens the correct folder and I can read and write to that folder with no problems.  So anyone have an idea why Media Center would not find it?  The copy to Zune format works properly.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Could be an access problem?
    Would you please file a bug report on Microsoft Connect? So the support team can help resolve this.
    Thanks!

If you feel up to, you could investigate if there is a problem with the security settings:
    WARNING: Using lusrmgr is not supported and at your own risk. Change anything in the security settings can result in serious problems on your server. Do not change anything!

* Check security on the "Recorded TV" share. It should list a (group)account something like RW_nX with "full control"access.
    * Next, start an RDP session to the WHS desktop, strat->run->lusrmgr.msc<enter>

Select "groups", find the account group RW_nX (see above) and select its properties to see what account are in the group. It should list a user account named Mc-{name} where {name} resembles your Media Center computer name. Close the property window by clicking "Cancel".
    Now select the named "Windows Media Center" and select its properties to see what user accounts are in the group. Its should also list the account Mc-{name} mentioned above. Close the property window by clicking "Cancel".

To repair, you can try uninstalling, restarting and then re-installing the Media Center connector on your client PC.

- Theo.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:44 PM
  • The Members under the named Windows Media Center match the account group.  I created the Recorded TV Share pre-PP1 for an add-on.  Thinking that PP3 beta would recreate the Recorded TV Share, I deleted it, then uninstalled / reinstalled PP3.  It didn’t.

I tried manually recreating the folder with the correct permissions (I think) but still get the “The network name cannot be found” in activity.

Any other Ideas before I reinstall my home Server?  Ugh.

Friday, August 14, 2009 2:31 AM
  • Any other Ideas before I reinstall my home Server?  Ugh.

I'm not sure. Best to contact support on Connect for advise first?

Before reinstalling, I would first try uninstalling PP2 (make sure you have a proper backup of all your data!?)
    Then reinstall PP2 + updates?

If the above does not solve your problem, the proper way to go is a reinstall.

- Theo.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:52 AM