ummmm .m4v and the rest of the MPEG files do not work.....via the PP2 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I had ripped most of my movies into the .m4v format and played them back on iTunes. I currenty have a WHS which serves my media. I installed the Windows Media Connector and moved one of these files over to the VIDEO folder and I can not see the movie? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Update!

1.) I just installed WINDOWS 7RC. The M4V files now can be seen in MEDIA CENTER!
    2.) Where do I submit bugs for Windows 7 while streaming music from WHS. When playing a song from ZUNE and MEDIA center at the same time crashes WHS. For example I was playing the same song from both software platforms and the system crashed. I duplicated it three times in a row.

Thank you

That's going to be Windows Home Server and it's probably a driver bug. Is this a home built Windows Home Server or a HP MediaSmart? If it's a home built machine, can you make sure you have the latest storage drivers on the server? It could be another driver but storage drivers are a good place to start.

Also, when you submit the bug to the Windows Home Server team, please check for a dump file in C:\Windows. This will be very helpful.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:33 PM

All replies

• I had ripped most of my movies into the .m4v format and played them back on iTunes. I currenty have a WHS which serves my media. I installed the Windows Media Connector and moved one of these files over to the VIDEO folder and I can not see the movie? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Did you try rebooting the server and client?  What are the component numbers of your server (WHS Console, Settings button, Resources tab)?  What device are you trying to use to view/play the m4v file on?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 2:56 PM
  • 1.) Two Laptops with Windows Vista Ultimate Rebooted. Media Connector installed.
    2.) One Windows Vista Ultimate machine Rebooted. Media Connector installed.
    3.) WHS rebooted.
    4.) XBOX 360.
    5.) All computers updated.
    6.) Media Sharing enabled.
    7.) I moved a .m4v file of a a movie I ripped to the VIDEOS folder and it does not show up via Windows Media Center. However, I can play this file now via the ZUNE software no problem.
    8.) I just copied an from my ITUNES MUSIC folder a UB40 album I purchased via iTunes into the MUSCI folder. It popped up in the ZUNE app in 5 seconds. This was a .m4a file. This did not populate in Windows Media Center.

All Media Center settings confirmed sharing WHS network shares.

Sunday, April 5, 2009 3:08 PM
  • 1.) Two Laptops with Windows Vista Ultimate Rebooted. Media Connector installed.
    2.) One Windows Vista Ultimate machine Rebooted. Media Connector installed.
    3.) WHS rebooted.
    4.) XBOX 360.
    5.) All computers updated.
    6.) Media Sharing enabled.
    7.) I moved a .m4v file of a a movie I ripped to the VIDEOS folder and it does not show up via Windows Media Center. However, I can play this file now via the ZUNE software no problem.
    8.) I just copied an from my ITUNES MUSIC folder a UB40 album I purchased via iTunes into the MUSCI folder. It popped up in the ZUNE app in 5 seconds. This was a .m4a file. This did not populate in Windows Media Center.

All Media Center settings confirmed sharing WHS network shares.

Again, what are the component numbers in your Console?  Also, what are your settings for Media Library Sharing and Windows Media Center Sharing (both of these are in the Console as well)?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 7:04 PM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Can you clarify COMPONENT NUMBERS?

Component numbers of your server (Settings button, Resources tab).
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:44 PM
  • The numbers above your post are the only ones available in the Resources Tab?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 8:56 PM
  • The numbers above your post are the only ones available in the Resources Tab?

Yes, those are the correct numbers.  Unfortunately, I have no m4v files to try on mine.  But I can tell you that my mp4 videos that didn't work before PP2 do work now.  Perhaps there was some problem with your ripping/converting?  Maybe try changing the extension to mp4 (make a copy of it first though ;)  )?  Is your XBox 360 up-to-date as well?
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:20 PM
  • 1.) The first is a DVD video file I ripped using Handbrake.

2.) The audio album I purchased via the iTunes music store. This should work without any changes to the audio file. It shows up in the zune software.

Take me through what you did to make it work? Where did you put your files? What type of files and how do you rip your media?

Monday, April 6, 2009 1:14 AM
  • 1.) The first is a DVD video file I ripped using Handbrake.

2.) The audio album I purchased via the iTunes music store. This should work without any changes to the audio file. It shows up in the zune software.

Take me through what you did to make it work? Where did you put your files? What type of files and how do you rip your media?

I just have them in the videos share.  I only have 2.  They are both 30 second commercials.  Nothing special or unique.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 3:14 AM
  • As a follow up to my original post. The audio files seem to work well from iTunes into Zune and my ZUNE and MEDIA CENTER CLIENTS see them. Can someone please clarify what kind of MPEG videos can be seen? I still can not see my MPEG videos.

In the ZUNE software the MPEG4 (.m4v) file I placed in the Videos folder is seen and I can play it. It does not show up in Media Center.

Thanks,

Abe
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Anyone have a response to my original post. I though WHS can now play .m4v files. It does not work when I put a copy of a movie in the VIDEOS folder on my WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER PC's.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:47 PM
  • ... It does not work when I put a copy of a movie in the VIDEOS folder on my WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER PC's.

This tells me that Media Center is not capable of dealing with these files. Windows Home Server doesn't "play" them, it streams them. It's up to the consuming device to actually play the file. Or were you expecting "on the fly" target based transcoding? That would be a good trick, but I don't think anything like that was ever mentioned for Power Pack 2... 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Is it me or something in my setup?

I use the Zune software to share m4v files to my Xbox 360. However, when PP2 release came out, I reenabled the standard WHS Media Sharing. However, the Xbox doesn't show the thumbnails of the "album art" of the m4v files through this method - only shows up through the Zune sharing.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Chuck,

It streams to my VISTA MEDIA CENTER machines through ZUNE and the meta data is present. However, it is not via Media Center.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Update!

1.) I just installed WINDOWS 7RC. The M4V files now can be seen in MEDIA CENTER!
    2.) Where do I submit bugs for Windows 7 while streaming music from WHS. When playing a song from ZUNE and MEDIA center at the same time crashes WHS. For example I was playing the same song from both software platforms and the system crashed. I duplicated it three times in a row.

Thank you
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:10 PM
    2.) Where do I submit bugs for Windows 7 while streaming music from WHS.
    I would submit it as both a Windows 7 bug, and a Windows Home Server bug, and cross-reference them in the descriptions.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Update!

Thank you

That's going to be Windows Home Server and it's probably a driver bug. Is this a home built Windows Home Server or a HP MediaSmart? If it's a home built machine, can you make sure you have the latest storage drivers on the server? It could be another driver but storage drivers are a good place to start.

Also, when you submit the bug to the Windows Home Server team, please check for a dump file in C:\Windows. This will be very helpful.
    Windows Home Server
    2.) Where do I submit bugs for Windows 7 while streaming music from WHS.
    I would submit it as both a Windows 7 bug, and a Windows Home Server bug, and cross-reference them in the descriptions.

Either way, they are going to come to me :)
    Windows Home Server