none
.NET 1.14 using TLS 1.2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My ASP.NET business application is running under the .NET 1.14 Framework and I need to call a Web Service that is communicating using TLS 1.2.  Is there a way to make calls using TLS 1.2 through my .NET 1.14 application.  I was able to communicate with this service using TLS 1 by using the following code:

System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = Net.SecurityProtocolType.Tls

Thanks in Advance,

Paul

Monday, October 30, 2017 12:51 PM

All replies

• My ASP.NET 1.14 application is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and it has TLS 1.2 enabled.  When I call the service, which is communicating using TLS 1.2, I get the error:  "The client and the server cannot communicate, because they do not possess a common algorithm.  I assume my .NET 1.14 application is using SSL 3 by default and I was trying to use System.Net.ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = Net.SecurityProtocolType.Tls12 but within .NET 1.14 code the TLS12 enum value doesn't exist.  Is there anything I can do with .NET 1.14 to have it communicate with TLS 1.2?  

Thanks in Advance,

Paul

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 7:07 PM
  • After installed relevant Windows Update (both the OS update and .NET framework runtime update), SChannel should communicate with the greatest version of SSL/TLS supported by both side and ignoring the SecurityProtocol enum you pass in. Can you verify that the target system have latest patches installed.

Note the following table:

This update is being made available on the following timeline:

Release Date Channels Classification
    October 17, 2017 Microsoft Catalog
    January 16, 2018 Windows Update/WSUS/Catalog Optional
    February 13, 2018 Windows Update/WSUS/Catalog Recommended

That means your user will need to manually download the updates themselves, or to wait until Jan-2018 for "Windows Update" rollout.

After installed the updates, TLS1.1/1.2 is disabled by default and need to enable with steps outlined in KB4019276 .

You're strongly recommended to test the update on a testing machine first before production rollout.

• Edited by cheong00 Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:40 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:32 AM