Autoroute 2013 slow calculating route RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we had used MS autoroute 2010 euro and now MS autoroute 2013 euro. It is rapidly increased time for calculating the route in 2013. We have computers with Win 7 64bit 4GB RAM. I compare time for calcating the same route in both version (Bratislava-Prague-Paris-Warsawa) and it is cca 8 sec in 2010 and cca 50 sec in 2013. I would ask if it is ok or can I somthing do to decrease this calculating time in 2013.

Thank you very much.

Monday, August 4, 2014 11:41 AM

All replies

• You don't describe the type of route. If it is a simple two waypoint route, then yes this is very slow. It would suggest there is something wrong with your PC or AutoRoute.

Your route is long and looks like it has 4 waypoints, so a simple calculation should still be quick (perhaps a second or so).Are you trying to Optimize the waypoint order? If so, this is why it is slow. Technically route optimization (finding the best waypoint order) is a case of the travelling salesman problem. This problem gets big very quickly (eg. to test all combinations would take years even for low numbers of waypoints). However 4 shouldn't take too long. Also AutoRoute has some good  heuristics which greatly speed things up. However they don't perform as well when route segments are over multi-country distances. This could easily explain 50 second calculations (in an extreme example, I've seen it take 30 minutes for a 6 waypoint route where the waypoints were spread between Canada and Florida - if they were all in the same city it would have taken seconds).

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Monday, August 4, 2014 2:06 PM