none
Going to the next page should take me to the top of the page RRS feed

• Question

• If I scroll to the bottom of a list of thread topics (say 1-20 of 1234) and then click on 'next' it should take me to the top of the 21-40 page so that I can see topic 21.  It takes me to the bottom of the page.

Paul Linton

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:42 AM

All replies

• It takes me to the bottom of the page.

It leaves you there so you can do another one, e.g. if you are going back more than 1 and aren't sure how far back you need to go.  If you do know which page you want you can use the Address bar page= override and that puts you at the top of it.  Otherwise, once you get to where you want to go iteratively, use Ctrl-Home.  Besides, some people like going backwards instead of forwards through a message list, so this leaves them better positioned to start scrolling up.  ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:26 PM
  • It actually walks up or down the page a little bit (on Chrome Win7 anyway) each time you hit next depending on the content, so after a few clicks of "next" eventually you'll get one where the the "next" link is off the bottom of the screen entirely.

This is quite an annoyance!  I hope this can be fixed.

And as a side rant: when did the world decide that it was ok to have results that are both paginated and scrolling?  This is a pet peeve of mine.  I think either all the results should fit on the screen, or it should scroll, not both.  To scan many results, it makes me constantly switch back and forth between scrolling and going to the next page.  Browsers have ruined interfaces!  :(  OK, got that off my chest -- end of rant.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:41 PM
  • I think I saw a bug submitted for this in the Issues forum. Pretty sure, but I can't find it at the moment.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:14 PM
  • I think either all the results should fit on the screen, or it should scroll, not both.

I wish it was more than 20 per page but the reason for pagination is for performance.  There is still a ridiculous delay getting some long threads rendered by IE--especially irritating when all I want to do is just peek at the last couple of messages.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:17 PM
  • Hi

Alternatively, as most descent forums do, add a 'Go to Top' link at the bottom of each page.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Besides, some people like going backwards instead of forwards through a message list, so this leaves them better positioned to start scrolling up.  ; )

That would be the 'Previous' button, not the 'Next' button.  That is all wrong too.  If I like to scan from old to new then I start looking at post 100, say, and scroll up the screen until I get to post 81 and now I want to look at post 80.  How do I achieve that?  I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and press 'Previous'.

Net result - if I am trying to look at posts in numerical order I am forced to click 'next' and then scroll up through the entire page.  If I am trying to look at posts in reverse numerical order then I have to scroll down through the posts I have just scanned in order to get to the 'previous' button.  At least it is fair - everybody loses.

(Am I missing something?  Where is the option to 'Preview' a post before I submit?  I have just edited the html of this post to add 'quote' tags around the first line (stuffed if I know how the 'Quote' button is supposed to work, but that's another gripe) and I want to know if I did it right.  Where is preview?   I will have to look for a thread about this :-( )

<<edit - changed quote to blockquote, thanks Wyck>>

Paul Linton

• Edited by PaulLinton Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:40 PM Duh!
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:49 PM
  • (Am I missing something?  Where is the option to 'Preview' a post before I submit?  I have just edited the html of this post to add 'quote' tags around the first line (stuffed if I know how the 'Quote' button is supposed to work, but that's another gripe) and I want to know if I did it right.  Where is preview?   I will have to look for a thread about this :-( )

Paul Linton

FYI: The tag should be <blockquote> not <quote>
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Paul. I will put this in our backlog.

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Besides, some people like going backwards instead of forwards through a message list, so this leaves them better positioned to start scrolling up.  ; )

Yea, if there would be a page selection navigation at the top too, I would do that aswell. Scrolling down -> Next page -> scrolling up -> next page -> and so on. But I don't really want to scroll up and scroll down again, to get to the next page.

The following is my signature:

Powershell Programmer & Advanced Lua Programmer

Beside that, whenever you see a reply, you think is helpful, click "Vote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the main question of the thread, click "Mark As Answer" (if you opened the thread).

I published the URL's for the icons in my signature.

Please contact me, before reporting me, thank you.

Need any links for images like CodeBlock? Go here.

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:46 AM