Chronic file conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting file conflicts on my server quite often and extremely regularly. Usually it only happens with one or two files in different shares. These shares are not being accessed by any users during the times that the file conflict happens (more often than not, they are in shares that haven’t been touched since being created and populated). It usually happens about once every few days, for about 1-3 files. It happens for both file shares that are duplicated as well as ones that are not. So far, it is always a new file/folder each time the issue occurs (no repeats).

The specific error I am getting is “The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation”.  Per http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7ef4db6c-4a73-42e7-b79e-cacd41365442 this can be caused by AV or with hardware issues. I am not running any additional software or even any add-ins.

The event log shows a large amount of chkdsk events in the application log (I have full & additional logs if they might help):

Checking file system on C:\fs\F

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is DATA.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

100528 file records processed.                                   1044                                                       

4 large file records processed.                             1000                                                       

0 bad file records processed.                               1000                                                       

0 EA records processed.                                     1000                                                       

0 reparse records processed.                                94374797374797                                                       

374797 index entries processed.                                  Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive.  This is not a corruption.

5 unindexed files processed.                                99100528100528                                                       

100528 security descriptors processed.                           Cleaning up 24 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 24 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 24 unused security descriptors.

5058 data files processed.                                    

1465127968 KB total disk space.

383533740 KB in 95408 files.

34856 KB in 5060 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

211252 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

1081348120 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

366281992 total allocation units on disk.

270337030 allocation units available on disk.

But other than that, I don’t see any other issues. I usually delete the file and replace with a backup, but that is getting old really quick. I have yet to try to narrow down exactly when it happens (a specific minute), but usually happens overnight. (perhaps coinciding with backups being created and therefore having to balance storage?)

If it seems like an issue with a drive (or drives) is there any suggestions for tools to help isolate and troubleshoot that?

Disk config:

80G SATA

1.5T SATA

1.5T SATA

Thanks,
    -Dana

Monday, February 22, 2010 6:46 PM

All replies

• Please read this FAQ, which will tell you how to allow chkdsk to repair any issues it finds. The nightly chkdsk doesn't attempt repairs.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:03 PM