Drives Missing after WHS runs for several hours RRS feed

• Question

•  

WHS has been running great for months now so I decided to add some drives. My system boots off of one scsi drive 0f 300 GB and the other 7 SCSI drives( 36 GB ) are part of the drive pool. I wanted to add more drives to the pool so I am using the IDE Channels on the mother board. I added 4 Maxtor 500 GB Pata drives.

Every so often WHS come up and says " Drives Missing" . It is always the 2 drives that are the master / slave on one of the IDE channels. ( Thanks to the disk management plug in -- Great Plug-in ). Sometimes it is channe 0 and sometimes channel 1. The Bios is set to boot off the first SCSI drive and that works fine but give WHS about 10 - 24 hours and it comes up with the drives missing alert.

Drives temperatures are around 20 C. ( very cool Basement ). The motherboard is a dual Xeon 3 Ghz Supermicro Server Board, X5DA8

I also have an Esata card installed ( It did not require drivers ) and it is connected to an external 5 bay SATA drive enclosure which has 3 - 1TB drives installed. That has been working great for a few months.

I spent a few days moving / replacing IDE cables and securing connections, to no end.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:16 PM

Answers

• You don't mention drive models, but an average power consumption per drive is something like 8-12 watts, and under heavy load may be 50% higher. So figuring more the middle of the range, you've got ~200 watts of drives (WHS does put a load on drives at times). Spin-up power consumption is usually even higher. (Does your SCSI controller support staggered spin-up?) It's entirely possible that you don't have enough amperage on the +12V rail on your power supply. If you have multiple +12V rails, try distributing the drives between them. Is that 600W PS fairly new and of good quality?

The 300 W hot spare PS is wholly inadequate for your server. Unless it truly delivers all 300W on the +12V rail(s), it probably won't even spin all your drives up at once. Replace it with a larger power supply if you want a hot spare.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• The three things that come to mind are a driver problem (are you using Windows drivers for the IDE channels, or does your MB manufacturer have drivers for your board?), a problem with the IDE controller on the motherboard, and a power supply problem (if I understand correctly you have 12 internal drives; that's a lot of power).
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:07 AM
  • I was thinking power supply also. The PS in the system is 600 watts and a 300 watt spare for hot swapping. Some IDE drives are on a removable slide and I noticed that the LCD display may flutter very slightly when the computer is booting up. Since the SCSI drives are small ( except for the sys drive ) maybe I should remove the 6 in the drive pool and replace them with a larger one or leave them out altogeter. I can make up the 216 gb loss by replacing them with a sata drive placed in the external sata enclosure.

I will update this post after some run time.

Thanks Ken,

Phil

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:49 PM
  • You don't mention drive models, but an average power consumption per drive is something like 8-12 watts, and under heavy load may be 50% higher. So figuring more the middle of the range, you've got ~200 watts of drives (WHS does put a load on drives at times). Spin-up power consumption is usually even higher. (Does your SCSI controller support staggered spin-up?) It's entirely possible that you don't have enough amperage on the +12V rail on your power supply. If you have multiple +12V rails, try distributing the drives between them. Is that 600W PS fairly new and of good quality?

The 300 W hot spare PS is wholly inadequate for your server. Unless it truly delivers all 300W on the +12V rail(s), it probably won't even spin all your drives up at once. Replace it with a larger power supply if you want a hot spare.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I did do a test with a Watt meter. The server will draw over 400 watts ( not very green ) of line power. Factor in the surge of powering up all the drives, I wouldn't be surprised if it did draw another 50%. So I removed all the SCSI drives ( Except for the system drive ) and replaced them with a 500 gig sata in an external case. The Watt meter is now down to 250 watts and none of the drives have crashed yet.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:35 AM