WHS, SBS 2003, or SBS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running a SBS 2003 at my home office for the past 5 years.  I'm needing to reinstall the server and I'm and trying to decide which server software to use.  The only feature of SBS that I use that would be lost with WHS would be Exchange and I may find the extras in WHS worth while.  I don't use exchange as a "real" email server but rather as a "store" whereby I can access my email in Outlook reagrdless of the PC I'm using.  I understand MS's reasoning for not including exchange in WHS, but is there an add-on that would provide this email "store" capability?  I'm an action pack subscriber, so I guess I could add a WHS to the SBS 2003 network as has been discussed (not sure if I could do that with SBS 2008 though) or has anyone used WHS plus an Exchange box?  I'd like to avoid the multiple boxes for seperate servers, but I've got enough older unused PC laying around to do so.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• I would look at SBS 2008 if you've been using SBS 2003 for years. You're likely to find too many areas where Windows Home Server doesn't support something that you're used to doing in a particular way. What I would recommend is using Windows Home Server as your backup solution. It can coexist on a network with a domain (don't join it to the domain) and back up domain-joined PCs.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 7:02 PM

All replies

• I would look at SBS 2008 if you've been using SBS 2003 for years. You're likely to find too many areas where Windows Home Server doesn't support something that you're used to doing in a particular way. What I would recommend is using Windows Home Server as your backup solution. It can coexist on a network with a domain (don't join it to the domain) and back up domain-joined PCs.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 6, 2009 7:02 PM
  • I would look at SBS 2008 . . .
    I upgraded my server and went with SBS 2008.  I think it is easier to install/setup in a home office environment than SBS 2003.  The only thing that I got caught-up on was that I assumed I needed two NICs, e.g. the network was behind the server and the internet was in front of the server, which is the default setup in SBS 2003.  The default for SBS 2008 is that the workstations don't sit behind the network.   Ya, I know, I'm not using proper network speak here, but hopefully you get the picture.  I still may use WHS as a backup solution.  
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:40 PM