none
Can I recover deleted Server Backup data? RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced a failing hdd in the server.  I thought it would be a good idea to do a server backup to my external USB drive first.  I normally don't back up "Videos" (about 900 GB) by unchecking the box.  This time I forgot to do that so the next backup made space by deleting my old backups.  The result is the old backups are grayed out and not accessible and half my data is missing. I do not make shadow copies either.  Is there a way to recover this data?  Perhaps a data recovery program that will make overwritten or deleted files recoverable?
    Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

WHS itself is unable to recover the deleted data on external USB drive. You may need 3rd party data recovering tool, or contact specific expert to recover deleted data.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:53 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  I tried a data recovery tool with mixed results.  After running for 10 hours and finding thousands of files, it would not let me access them for recovery.  I guess I am asking if anyone has had success with any specific recovery tool.

T.E.Carter

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

As Microsoft supporter we are unable to provide you detail suggestion about 3rd party tool/software. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:58 AM