Possible hack attack? RRS feed

• Question

• Received a request for confirmation of e-mail connection to Windows live boxes, headed "Verify that you own this email address " and sent from my regular e-mail address: I am adding the new e-mail address to my Outlook boxes for regular checking. The thing is that I did this about 2 months ago, so why has this popped  up again?
    The link in the mail is as follows, I have removed some of the information for obvious security reasons. My question is as follows: When I clicked on the link nothing happened, then when I pasted a secondary link into IE it came back as a broken link. Have I done something really stupid by clicking on the link below? Is it a genuine request from Microsoft and how can I verify?

1. To verify that you own this account and want to send messages from it, click the link below:

<Deleted by Admin>

IW
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:33 PM Deleted URL
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:12 PM

Answers

• "ICKW" wrote in message news:504bf033-2095-4ace-bdda-d6a7ea8b0ee8...

Received a request for confirmation of e-mail connection to Windows live boxes, headed "Verify that you own this email address " and sent from my regular e-mail address: I am adding the new e-mail address to my Outlook boxes for regular checking. The thing is that I did this about 2 months ago, so why has this popped  up again?
    The link in the mail is as follows, I have removed some of the information for obvious security reasons. My question is as follows: When I clicked on the link nothing happened, then when I pasted a secondary link into IE it came back as a broken link. Have I done something really stupid by clicking on the link below? Is it a genuine request from Microsoft and how can I verify?

1. To verify that you own this account and want to send messages from it, click the link below:

IW

Please delete the link – you most certainly do not want anyone other than yourself to click on it, genuine or not!

You should then post this query in a more appropriate forum such as the Windows Live forums at http://windowslivehelp.com/

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:33 PM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:17 PM