Windows xp home to XP PRO RRS feed

• Question

• I started a new job at a company that uses XP PRO and I upgraded my personal laptop from XP home to XP PRO since I will be using it on the road for the company I work for.

they have a site license for xp pro and i tried up upgrade my pc and now i cannot activate windows.  even IE doesn't work.  so it's kind of in between xp home and xp pro and I cannnot purchase the windows genuine advantage kit online...just a blank screen when i launch legitcheck.hta

and neither can i find my recovery disks for my laptop.

:>(

what's the best course of action here?  I certainly don't mind upgrading to vista but i'll have to pay for it and i don't want to go back to XP home.

????

thanks!

Monday, May 14, 2007 12:13 AM

Answers

• Markymarq,

A company big enough to have a large scale Volume License for XP Pro will have an IT staff.  Let them backup the data on the computer and do a fresh clean installation of XP Pro onto your laptop.

Monday, May 14, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Marky,

Another option is contact the customer service of the manufacuter for your system and request the Reinstallation Recovery CD's. Have your system available and purchasing information should they ask. In turn they will ask you a few question such as the machine serial number and information from the Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) sticker located below your laptop. The may be a small replacement fee but @ least this will get you up and running. Also follow up with your company's IT staff like Dan recommended. Maybe they have a program where you can purchase the operating system @ a discount. Hope this additional information will assist getting you up and running.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:41 PM

All replies

• Markymarq,

A company big enough to have a large scale Volume License for XP Pro will have an IT staff.  Let them backup the data on the computer and do a fresh clean installation of XP Pro onto your laptop.

Monday, May 14, 2007 12:28 AM
  • Marky,

Another option is contact the customer service of the manufacuter for your system and request the Reinstallation Recovery CD's. Have your system available and purchasing information should they ask. In turn they will ask you a few question such as the machine serial number and information from the Certificate Of Authenticity (COA) sticker located below your laptop. The may be a small replacement fee but @ least this will get you up and running. Also follow up with your company's IT staff like Dan recommended. Maybe they have a program where you can purchase the operating system @ a discount. Hope this additional information will assist getting you up and running.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:41 PM