Installshield LE User data location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this question, but not sure where to ask. I have a dotnet winforms app which I am deploying via installshield LE.

I have to allow the user to read & write xml files, so I have set the install directory to [CommonAppDataFolder]\My Company\Data

But when deployed these files are always read only and I cannot create new fiels in the directory.

Can anyone advise which is the appropriate directory to install user data to (the data needs to be common to all users).

Thanks,

Jon.

• Moved by Helen Zhou Friday, October 28, 2011 3:12 AM (From:Windows Forms General)
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• CommonAppData is indeed the correct folder but you need to change the permission for the folder you created.

If you registered your copy of installshield LE, you will get an email about how to get to the official installshield LE forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:24 AM
  • Thanks for the response, I have registered with Fexera, and posted on their forum. They have requested a sample project which I shall send.

In the LE edition, if I select properties on the folder and try to set them, I get a dialog reporting that the function is not available in the LE version... so I can add the folder to my setup, but can't change the default properties...!

Unless there is another way to do it?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Yes, you can create a WIX merge module and add to your LE project. WIX is less limited than InstallShield LE. But it is not that user friendly, expect to write some code.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Hi Joneboy,

Please post the question on http://community.installshield.com/ forum to get better support.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:11 AM