D:/DE/Shares and D:/Shares have duplicate files RRS feed

• Question

• I have this problem were D:/DE/Shares and D:/Shares have the same files in them. 

From other posts I've read the DE folder is the drive extender folder and its suppost to move files to my second HDD but in my case I don't think its working. I have rebooted my WHS many many times and its been over a few months and the data in D:/DE/Shares is still just sitting there.. Right now my D:/DE folder shows its 428GB in size and my D:/Shares folder shows its 1.08TB in size. Should I just go in and manual delete all the files in the D:/DE/Shares folder as the files listed in there also show up in the D:/Shares folder..???

When I copy over new files I notice they show up in both folders so lets say I copy 123.mkv which is 3.99GB. Its shows 3.99gb in D:/DE/Shares and 3.99 in D:/Shares. Does this mean its taking up a total of 7.98GB..???  Oh and I side note I have duplication full off on all folders...

Thank you in Advance for any help you can offer..

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:07 AM

Answers

• I have this problem were D:/DE/Shares and D:/Shares have the same files in them. 
    It's not a problem - that is the way it's meant to be working.

From other posts I've read the DE folder is the drive extender folder and its suppost to move files to my second HDD but in my case I don't think its working. I have rebooted my WHS many many times and its been over a few months and the data in D:/DE/Shares is still just sitting there.. Right now my D:/DE folder shows its 428GB in size and my D:/Shares folder shows its 1.08TB in size. Should I just go in and manual delete all the files in the D:/DE/Shares folder as the files listed in there also show up in the D:/Shares folder..???
    Depending on your particular setup Drive Extender will choose where it puts files.  Something that happens according to one user may not occur on your system for one reason or another.   You should not use the Windows Home Server file system like a normal file system.  You should access the drives using \\servername\sharename  not directly on the server.  Also it's not a good idea to go playing around with the system from outside of the Home Server Console.  You are liable to break something.
    When I copy over new files I notice they show up in both folders so lets say I copy 123.mkv which is 3.99GB. Its shows 3.99gb in D:/DE/Shares and 3.99 in D:/Shares. Does this mean its taking up a total of 7.98GB..???  Oh and I side note I have duplication full off on all folders...

You question is best answer by this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/abb52da9-4097-4bce-b568-1de32be28817 
    In short there is only one file when not using duplication.

Therein it also details where you can read up more on the Drive Extender component if you are interested.

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:55 AM
  • The "files" in D:\shares are not really files, they are just tombstones pointing to the actual file location (which in your case is somewehere in  D:\DE\shares. The information Windows Explorer is showing you for D partition is not correct.

Like Al West already mentioned, please don't start doing things on the server desktop unless you really know and understand what you're doing. Reading the technical briefs you can find on the Windows Home Server Support website should be a good starting point to help you understand the basics of WHS.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:18 PM

All replies

It's not a problem - that is the way it's meant to be working.

Depending on your particular setup Drive Extender will choose where it puts files.  Something that happens according to one user may not occur on your system for one reason or another.   You should not use the Windows Home Server file system like a normal file system.  You should access the drives using \\servername\sharename  not directly on the server.  Also it's not a good idea to go playing around with the system from outside of the Home Server Console.  You are liable to break something.

You question is best answer by this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/abb52da9-4097-4bce-b568-1de32be28817 
    In short there is only one file when not using duplication.

Therein it also details where you can read up more on the Drive Extender component if you are interested.

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:55 AM
  • The "files" in D:\shares are not really files, they are just tombstones pointing to the actual file location (which in your case is somewehere in  D:\DE\shares. The information Windows Explorer is showing you for D partition is not correct.

Like Al West already mentioned, please don't start doing things on the server desktop unless you really know and understand what you're doing. Reading the technical briefs you can find on the Windows Home Server Support website should be a good starting point to help you understand the basics of WHS.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:18 PM