Creating a UDF function for SSRS purposes in CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Not sure if this should go in the SSRS forum or CRM forums or both -

We have a request to 1) add a custom UDF function directly on a CRM database. It's a simple function that returns x number of characters in a field based on CHARINDEX function.

The purpose of having this function is for those people that create reports against CRM to be able to call this function instead of having to repeat the same SQL in their datasets over and over.

Ex - If customer number = 123456-1 the UDF function using CHARINDEX looks for the '-' character and if there returns only the first 6 characters.  The goal is in writing reports that use this field to be able to use call this function in SSRS .

I am not sure if a) its even permissible to directly create a new function that's in addition to the built in ones CRM provides knowing the prohibition against doing anything directly in SQL and b) can a function be called in SSRS anyway?

Thank you,

Robert

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Strictly speaking direct modifications to the crm database are not supported.

That said you should be able to code this in your report rather than use a udf.

hth

Joe

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Yeah, I know that the equivalent SQL is in some places in several reports but i guess they want to not have to repeat themselves and rather just call this function.

Robert

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:06 AM