duplicate client confusion RRS feed

• Question

• When I put the hostname in my Win 8 upgrade laptop, I inadvertently cased it differently than the Win 7 machine. So WHS thought it was a different client.  Changed name, deleted client, reinstalled connector. No joy. Now I had two identically cased clients. Tried a server restore. Besides update history begin lost, apparently, the client reinstall came up and proposed a pre-existing description for the computer rather than saying "looks like a duplicate machine", so I assumed still No Joy and cancelled the install. Am force running the cleanup task right now. Any other thoughts how to expunge the second client and get my connector setup to associate with the original host name? Is there possibly some data stored on the client even after connector uninstall like a client UUID or similar?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:11 AM

Answers

• Interesting.  I recall having a problem similar to yours, thus arriving at the conclusion that this wasn't a supported option.

In any case, if you can't resolve it any other way, removing the old client and archiving its backups might help you get back to a clean configuration while preserving your backup history.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:18 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 10:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Dick.

I'm pretty sure that if you've upgraded the operating system to Windows 8, it *is* a different client.  There is no way to map the new system to the old one that I am aware of.

What you want to do is to delete the old client and add the upgraded machine as a new client.  You can archive the backups from the old system so that you have the option to restore should you need to.

• Edited by Gary Voth Monday, December 31, 2012 7:11 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:10 AM
  • I've done this same upgrade to three machines now. On the other two it gave a message during client connector install to the effect of "this machine has the same name as another machine, did you replace the other machine?" and continued on in the same string of backups...
    Monday, December 31, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Interesting.  I recall having a problem similar to yours, thus arriving at the conclusion that this wasn't a supported option.

In any case, if you can't resolve it any other way, removing the old client and archiving its backups might help you get back to a clean configuration while preserving your backup history.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:18 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 10:50 PM