none
Confusion for certification selection - MCPD, MCTS or MCAD? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings earthlings,

I sincerely apologize for this may be a recurring question but I would genuinely appreciate any help.

I am a web developer working on ASP.Net applications for the last 4 years due to the nature of my project, I am still working on .Net 2.0 while the world has moved forward to .Net 4.0. Recently, I have just received new from my employer that a new project is under way which will eventually rely on .Net 3.5 or .Net 4.0 and has offered to pay for a certification (just because they want to buy msdn subscr for which 2 developer certifications are a must :|)

At this moment, as I went through the certifications website I have learnt about MCPD, MCTS or MCAD. There are no professionals online for a live chat. Based on my current expertise, Can anyone suggest the path I should take to move forward. I definitely intend to continue further certifications on my own in the future but at this present moment,I am confused with what certification or exams I should pursue.

• Edited by dumbdev Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:26 PM typo
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• In most cases I would recommend doing the certification on the latest
    available technology,

However if you are interested in the Enterprise Application Developer
    certification, you may need to go for 3.5 and then take a couple of
    additional exams to upgrade to the Web Developer 4 certification, see

-- Mike Burr
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:35 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Appreciate the links. At this moment, i was planning to do MCTS Exam 70-536 & 70-528 for a start then move ahead with MCTS on VS 2008 and eventually with 2010. My chosen path because I have read that 70-536 is mandatory to proceed with the next MCTS exam. You only need to pass this exam once.

I'm not sure but there may be some pre-requisite certification that i may need to do?

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:50 PM
  • In Microsoft certifications, there are no hard prerequisites or
    limitations on the order that you take the exams and the MCTS
    certification is a single exam cert that you get each time you pass an
    MCTS exam. For the .Net exams, 70-536 is usually recommended first
    because it covers a lot of foundation knowledge that ASP.Net,
    Distributed Application Development, and Windows Forms development build on.

-- Mike Burr
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:45 PM