Make onecare stop changing my excel xls security settings. RRS feed

• Question

• I like it fine that onecare seems to be repairing my machine on a 24/7 basis. But I have this one problem.. Mostly just annoying..

I use this shopping list xls to keep the store honest, and help me get in and out with a minimum of trouble.

But when I fire it up to create the monthly list, I have to change the security settings again. It's an xls I made. It has a few unused macros that I made in it. They're definitely not a security risk.
    Onecare changes the security settings from no security to the security 1 step down from maximum.

I suppose that's a nice thing if you have a dozen or more xls sheets, with macros and onecare automatically makes sure they're secure. But it's not really necessary for this one xls.

How do I get onecare to stop changing the security settings on this xls, without messing everything up ?

Friday, March 20, 2009 3:42 AM

Answers

• OneCare is changing the macro security settings. It is one of the protection features that cannot be changed by us as users. You can confirm that it is OneCare by opening OneCare, clicking on Change Settings, logging tab, create support log. Scroll down to the performance plus section. You'll see entries for settings checked and changed. If a setting was changed by OneCare, it will be listed. OneCare sets Macro security to high, meaning that only signed macros will be allowed to run. If you don't use the macros, delete them from the workbook. Otherwise, you will need to go through the hassle of doing self certification of the macros or changing the security setting in Excel each time before you open the workbook so you can access the macros.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:20 PM
  • Actually I finally found the answer. MSE hasn't changed the settings, so I can't say whether MSE changes the excel, access security settings.

But if it does, this is HOW to prevent them from changing your security settings.

Using access as the program, open the MDB, change the macro settings and security settings, open the visual basic editor and SAVE it.
    Excel, same thing. change your security settings EVERY where. Open the macros in VB editor and SAVE. No need to edit anything..
    anybody reading this can mark it as the answer. I don't think you'll find this anywhere on the web.
    • Marked as answer by cbminfo Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:33 PM

All replies

• I don't think One Care is capable of changing your Excel security settings. Perhaps you are missing a step in changing the security settings. See this article on changing macro security settings in Excel - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100969191033.aspx
    Jim
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:13 AM
  • OneCare is changing the macro security settings. It is one of the protection features that cannot be changed by us as users. You can confirm that it is OneCare by opening OneCare, clicking on Change Settings, logging tab, create support log. Scroll down to the performance plus section. You'll see entries for settings checked and changed. If a setting was changed by OneCare, it will be listed. OneCare sets Macro security to high, meaning that only signed macros will be allowed to run. If you don't use the macros, delete them from the workbook. Otherwise, you will need to go through the hassle of doing self certification of the macros or changing the security setting in Excel each time before you open the workbook so you can access the macros.

-steve

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:20 PM
  • That's what I knew, just didn't know I couldn't stop onecare from making the changes.

Monday, March 23, 2009 5:51 PM
  • cbminfo said:

That's what I knew, just didn't know I couldn't stop onecare from making the changes.

Yes, unfortunately, we can't control this behavior. It is hard coded into OneCare among a list of items monitored and changed to secure the PC. There was quite an uproar over some of these setting changes and a few were changed in OneCare updates, but this one remains.
    -steve
    Monday, March 23, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Actually I finally found the answer. MSE hasn't changed the settings, so I can't say whether MSE changes the excel, access security settings.

But if it does, this is HOW to prevent them from changing your security settings.

Using access as the program, open the MDB, change the macro settings and security settings, open the visual basic editor and SAVE it.
    Excel, same thing. change your security settings EVERY where. Open the macros in VB editor and SAVE. No need to edit anything..
    anybody reading this can mark it as the answer. I don't think you'll find this anywhere on the web.
    • Marked as answer by cbminfo Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:33 PM