Infinite Upload RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

As of several days ago I have started having the issue where Mesh is constantly uploading something and taking up the whole bandwidth so even downloads are sluggish at best. Wireless activity monitor on my sidebar indicates there is permanent upload going on. NetLimiter Monitor does not indicate which process is doing the upload, which is weird.
    The turn on/off test definitely identified the Mesh as the source of upload. Why isn't the Mesh indicator show anything going on?
    I have looked at the log files but am not sure if I'm missing something or there is nothing there indicating a problem.
    Has anyone had a similar problem recently. Maybe someone has a fast hint. Or should I submit a bug request at the Connect site?

This is happening on Windows Vista Ultimate with the build 31 of the client. The other synchronized machine (Win Server 2008) does not have those issues. Puzzled.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:58 PM

Answers

• That's a bug we're currently tracking down ( the always tries to sync it no matter what ) issue you are seeing.  So definately would love to get a look at your logs for this.

-ken
    • Marked as answer by MisterY Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:14 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your post.  Are you attempting to sync any unsupported file types (list below)?  If not, could you please submit a bug at https://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?SiteID=425&ContentID=11404#Log_Creation_and_Bug_Submission_-_Basic

• Files containing obscene or copyrighted material. Copying or sharing unauthorized materials, including materials that you did not create or you do not have the rights necessary for use, is a violation of the Windows Live terms of use. See the Microsoft Copyright Notice and FAQ.
    • Files whose names begin with a tilde (~)
    • desktop.ini
    • thumbs.db
    • Hidden files
    • Windows Systems folders
    • Your Desktop directory folder (for example, C:\users\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows Vista or C:\Documents and Settings\[myusername]\Desktop on Windows XP)
    • Files and folders stored on removable media (such as an external hard drive, flash drive, or USB drive)
    • Files and folders stored on mapped network drives

Live Mesh also blocks files that have the following file extensions:

• .bak
    • .gfs
    • .laccdb
    • .lnk
    • .mbf
    • .mny
    • .mpc
    • .pst
    • .sav
    • .tmp
    • .wlx
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MisterY Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Evan, thanks for the reply. I will submit the bug request later today from my home laptop, where I've noticed this behavior and where I can collect the logs.

A few things, though, I noticed in Live Desktop... There are icons with green circle, meaning the file upload did not complete for some of the files. Since the upload went on for hours yesterday I would assume that all the files must have been uploaded by now. The maximum size of updated files could not have been more than 20MB.
    To me it looks as if one file is constantly being upload but fails for some reason. And, instead of uploading further files, the upload queue is stuck there, reuploading the failed file. That would explain why the upload is constantly going on but there are files still not uploaded completely.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to identify which file is being uploaded by Mesh. Looked at OpenFiles (SysInternals utility) but there was no files open by moe apart from storage files and shared folders.
    • Edited by MisterY Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:43 PM added changed file size
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:41 PM
  • That's a bug we're currently tracking down ( the always tries to sync it no matter what ) issue you are seeing.  So definately would love to get a look at your logs for this.

-ken
    • Marked as answer by MisterY Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:14 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Hi Ken,

Glad to hear that! (That you're tracking the issue at the moment, not that you have a bug. :P)
    I have just submitted my logs. The issue is 431511 .
    Is there a way to track which file is being uploaded?
    Have a look at the logs and let me know if I can be of help.

Just to note - I have uninstalled the previous installation of Mesh and then downloaded the client and installed anew. The client available for download on the Live Desktop is previous version. After installation it upgraded itself to build 31.
    The reason for reinstallation was that the client was doing this constant file upload and I was hoping the issue would go away.

Regards,

Alen
    • Edited by MisterY Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:18 AM link url
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:06 AM
  • Having an issue uploading the logs. Will try later today.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Just tested it here, and there's something awry with Connect file attachments.  I've submitted a report to them to investigate what's up.

-ken

Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Just tested it here, and there's something awry with Connect file attachments.  I've submitted a report to them to investigate what's up.

-ken

Alright, thanks! I'll try again later and/or over the weekend so the files should be there before the next week.
    Happy holidays!
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:13 AM
  • Hi MistreY, the connect team has found the problem and fixed it, you should be able to attach your logs now.

-ken
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 8:21 PM
  • Hi MistreY, the connect team has found the problem and fixed it, you should be able to attach your logs now.

-ken
    Done! Have fun.
    :)
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:24 PM
  • The problem seems to be with only one file (.nvf). It may be that there is some sort of misunderstanding between the service and the client on my laptop. Even if I delete the folder that contains it on Live Desktop, the folder is still visible on my laptop. If I try to remove it there, it tells me to go to Live Desktop and complete the operation. :)

Another problem is that I can not uninstall the Mesh client. I removed the client manually, according to the instructions in the Known Issues post but without any differences in behavior after the new installation (with UAC turned back on).

Also, since the only installation package available for download is build 14, I can not install it with UAC turned off.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:21 AM
  • Any updates on this?

I've got a bunch of PDF files and some onenote files that are always trying to sync.
    It will upload for a while then pause, then try again constantly.

Theres green circles on the Live Desktop, so the upload is incomplete.

The log shows it fails with an exception.

System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out ---> System.Net.Http.Windows.WinInetException: EndRequest
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Net.Http.WindowsHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at Microsoft.Web.Clients.HttpClient.<>c__DisplayClass16`1.<PostOrPutAsync>b__13(IAsyncResult ar2)

Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Any updates on this?

I've got a bunch of PDF files and some onenote files that are always trying to sync.
    It will upload for a while then pause, then try again constantly.

Theres green circles on the Live Desktop, so the upload is incomplete.

The log shows it fails with an exception.

System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out ---> System.Net.Http.Windows.WinInetException: EndRequest
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Net.Http.WindowsHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at Microsoft.Web.Clients.HttpClient.<>c__DisplayClass16`1.<PostOrPutAsync>b__13(IAsyncResult ar2)

Please file a bug report with your logs. Thanks!

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Thanks, Shinkei. -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:55 AM
  • I too have a bunch of PDF files that never actually sync, and it's really annoying. I used to love mesh because it kept all my documents in sync, but now I have to close the program every time I restart my computer just so I can use the internet before it completely saturates it. I can submit my logs if you need them, although I'm sure the results will be similar to what's been happening here...

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Unfortunately I have a very similar issue. I have reported this months ago, but I have not got any answer on it yet. Back in march my Mesh client stopped syncing files, since that time I have reinstalled my computer twice, but it did not help. Yesterday I removed all of my folders from the live desktop and reinstalled the mesh client. By using new folders I tried to upload some files, but nothing happened. My bug report: 430654

--
    Gergő Attila Fár [HU]
    Monday, June 8, 2009 5:50 AM
  • I'm back to (happily) using Dropbox. Re-discovering the magic of low processor, memory, and network usage. :)
    My Mesh installation is in such a mess that I can't either install nor uninstall it anymore. And the new versions are not available for download at all.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 7:05 AM
  • I have the same problem. In my case NetLimiter Monitor shows that Moe is the source of the constant upload. I set a 4gb folder to sync with live desktop and in the last 4 days Moe has uploaded more than 12 gb and I still have green circles in live desktop.

You can have a look at my logs in https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=482069

Please tell me if you are still looking into this issue because I'd hate having to look for another sync service. Until this problem appeared I loved Live Mesh.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for submitting the bug report, marco339. The Live Mesh team is still alive and working, but I have no infomation on the next version or even any planned fixes for problems like the one you are seeing. You might want to see if Live Sync works for you - http://sync.live.com - as it is a released product and does peer to peer sync (no Live Desktop). Another painful option is to manually upload the files to the Live Desktop with the source PC set to *not* sync. Once all files are present on the live Desktop, see if the problem reappears if you set it to sync with that PC again.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:30 AM