Multiple authors per API request RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using the Microsoft Academic Search API and I am trying to find an efficient way to get a list of publications related to a search term and also to access author's organization/affiliation information.

First, I gained a list of publications by using the following API call: http://academic.research.microsoft.com/json.svc/search?AppId={APP_ID}& FullTextQuery=big+data& ResultObjects=Publication& PublicationContent=AllInfo& StartIdx=1& EndIdx=100. The results not only contain the found publications, but also the associated authors of each publication. The problem with this approach is, that I do not get information about author's organization/affiliation. The field "Affiliation" always remains empty.

That is why I have to send another API call for each author of each publication. I am using the following method: http://academic.research.microsoft.com/json.svc/search?AppId={APP_ID}&ResultObjects=Author&AuthorID={AUTHOR_ID}&StartIdx=1&EndIdx=1. By using this call I am able to receive the information I need, namely the name of the organization/affiliation. The problem with this approach is, that I have to make a call for each and every author separately. Microsoft Academic Search API has a limit for the API calls (200 calls per minute). That means that if I used the API methods listed above (first 100 publications for the term "big data" and the associated calls for the authors), I would probably need more than ~330 API calls just for that information. As this exceeds the limits by far, I need some help to find a more efficient way to get the information I need.

Therefore, I have two questions. First of all, are there any possibilities to change the first API call (publication information) such that I would also gain the organization/affiliation information of each author? Secondly, is there a way to change the second API call (author information) such that I could pass in multiple AuthorIDs? In that way I could minimize the number of calls and I also would save traffic.

Thank you in advice,
    Vilius

• Edited by Vilius R Monday, January 13, 2014 8:11 AM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Vilius R,

The results are basically focused based on the ResultObjects type in the API query. So, for ResultObjects=Publication all the attributes of the matched publications are returned but only minimal attributes of the co-authors of the publications are returned.

Any changes to the API are not easily possible because many are already using them.

Now the MAS data is available at Azure Marketplace. You can even query the data you need from here. For more details you can refer the post at "http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4ec949e-d0cf-4f37-a1c8-b50e2ba00c30/microsoft-academic-search-api-dataset-in-windows-azure-marketplace?forum=mas"

Please get back in case you need further clarification.

Regards,

Monday, January 13, 2014 2:22 PM