firewall blocking "Google Installer" RRS feed

• Question

• I have removed everything "Google" including the installer, but I keep getting a pop up stating that "onecare" has blocked the "google installer" because it is on my list of blocked sites. Well it is, but I have removed all google apps. Do I remove the block from the firewall to keep from getting this pop up? If I do, will the "google installer" just go ahead and install without me having any say???  Google sucks!!!!!!! Get out of my LIFE!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:51 AM

Answers

• Open OneCare, click on Change Settings, firewall tab, advanced tab.
    You'll see a list of programs that are allowed and blocked on the programs tab.
    You can unblock or block applications here.
    OneCare does not have a list of blocked sites, so I'm not sure that you are seeing a message from OneCare. What did you remove and from where?
    If you believe that the firewall is blocking the Google installer from functioning and you wish to run it, try turning off the OneCare firewall temporarily. Then run the installer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:55 AM

All replies

OneCare does not have a list of blocked sites, so I'm not sure that you are seeing a message from OneCare. What did you remove and from where?
    If you believe that the firewall is blocking the Google installer from functioning and you wish to run it, try turning off the OneCare firewall temporarily. Then run the installer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:55 AM
    -steve

Stephen,
    My problem is that I DO NOT want to run the installer. I don't even know where it is coming from. I have removed everything Google from my machine.

The pop up baloon does in fact state that Onecare firewall has blocked this because it is on my list of blocked sites. If I remove the block, then won't the installer be able to access and download? Do I just let it try and then refuse it when the user control kicks in and be done with it?

I am using the onecare firewall, instead of the windows vista firewall.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:11 PM
  • The installer is what performs the uninstall, you have to let it run to complete its work.

This is clearly the reason that the new Microsoft Security Essentials will not have a firewall, since many are unable to understand these concepts.  I now finally agree completely with the complete removal of the friewall from MSE, and this was the only decision I'd ever questioned.

Rob
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:46 PM
  • The installer is what performs the uninstall, you have to let it run to complete its work.

This is clearly the reason that the new Microsoft Security Essentials will not have a firewall, since many are unable to understand these concepts.  I now finally agree completely with the complete removal of the friewall from MSE, and this was the only decision I'd ever questioned.

Rob

Rob,
    I use the Revo Uninstaller program which allows the selected program's OWN un-installer to run and then Revo cleans up any other files/registry components left behind.

This has always worked perfectly with all other programs I have un-installed using Revo.

I say Google is out to get ya, and won't let go without a fight!!!! Once they're in, they're like a Virus!!!
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:55 PM
  • I have marked my original answer as the answer for the thread once again. I'll repeat, there is no "sites" blocked in the firewall, just programs. So, yes, if you have blocked the Google installer and the Google installer wants access to the network in order to run, OneCare is blocking it. Remove the block or turn off the firewall. Then run the uninstall or your third party uninstaller, and once it is done, turn the firewall back on or block the installer once again.
    -steve
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:10 AM