Questions about my setup and how best to proceed RRS feed

• Question

• I will admit up front that I did not realize fully how WHS sets itself up and creates all the shares before I go into this.  With that said I built a WHS box this weekend with 2 RAID-1 arrays that I intended to handle all the data and keep everything redundant.  Currently my setup is as follows:
    Primary drive: 160gb PATA
    2x750gb SATA  RAID1 - not added to WHS storage yet
    2x160gb PATA  RAID1 - not added to WHS storage yet

Originally I intended for the OS to reside on the 160gb RAID array and all the data to go to the 750gb array.  Due to not being able to find a RAID controller driver that would work during the installation, I bought another 160gb drive to install the OS, with the intention of keeping the data on the 2 RAID arrays and using the remainder of the primary disk for unimportant stuff.  Well after getting the OS finally loaded last night and finally seeing how it operates I am now realizing that my original design is both unsupported and unattainable.  So now I have a few questions that I am having a little trouble finding answers to and am hoping someone here can help.

The 2 main goals of this build were to have redundancy in case of a drive failure and an easy bridge to my Xbox 360 for media sharing.  I am curious how reliable the data redundancy is in WHS if I go ahead and blow away my RAID arrays and then just add all that storage space to the server as individual disks?  If I turn on Folder Duplication, does it definitely duplicate the data on to seperate physical disks?  Basically I want to make sure that if I copy over my families digital photos, I don't want to find out that duplicate folder was hidden on the same hard drive and when it died, so did the redundant data.

I have read that it is recommended to use the largest drive possible for the primary.  But it kind of sounds like the main benefit to doing that is just to allow you to move massive amounts of data in one transaction.  Right now my Data partition has 129gb free space.  I don't forsee needing to move more then 80gb at any single time, and for the most part it would be a one time setup when this would even occur.  With that in mind, what would be the benefit of me re-installing to one of the 750gb SATA drives?  I want to avoid  actual data storage on the primary and that just seems like it would make it more likely to happen.

All in all, I wish I would have gotten in these forums last week.. but thems the breaks.. Thanks for any advice :-)

Monday, January 21, 2008 7:44 PM

Answers

• There's some great whitepapers on the WHS site, under the Enthusiast section (http://www.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver). The one that explains storage will probably help make everything clearer.

That being said:

In my experience, duplication works every time. Drive Extender definitely puts copies on to different physical disks and migrates data to an appropriate drive in the event you chose to remove one of the physical disks. The data is also stored on a standard NTFS volume, which means you can mount it in another PC and read the data if WHS fails.

I've got a 120 GB disk as my primary (about 90GB available on D:\), and I was able to move 200+ GB to the server in one operation with a consistent transfer rate; DE was moving data around the disks in the background. DE moves as much stuff off D:\ as it can, filling up your storage disks before using space on the primary disk.

Hope that helps.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:29 PM

All replies

• There's some great whitepapers on the WHS site, under the Enthusiast section (http://www.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver). The one that explains storage will probably help make everything clearer.

That being said:

In my experience, duplication works every time. Drive Extender definitely puts copies on to different physical disks and migrates data to an appropriate drive in the event you chose to remove one of the physical disks. The data is also stored on a standard NTFS volume, which means you can mount it in another PC and read the data if WHS fails.

I've got a 120 GB disk as my primary (about 90GB available on D:\), and I was able to move 200+ GB to the server in one operation with a consistent transfer rate; DE was moving data around the disks in the background. DE moves as much stuff off D:\ as it can, filling up your storage disks before using space on the primary disk.

Hope that helps.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:29 PM
  • Thank you much.. Somehow I had browsed through the WHS website and never clicked on the links to the whitepapers.  The DE one was most informative.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 9:58 PM