OneCare not starting up when Windows starts?? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Every time I boot my computer I get an error meesage from the Windows Security Center in the form of the balloon in the bottom riht corner telling me that my Firewall and virus protection is turned off.  The fix is to actually click on the OneCare icon to bring up the program.  At that point the firewall and virus protection kicks on.  It is ridiculous that I have to do this though.  Any idea what the deal is?  I'm running XP Tablet PC Edition.
    Friday, February 22, 2008 5:07 PM

Answers

• I'll add that the main reason for this delay at startup is typically a lack of resources. Either your PC could use some more memory or you have many resource intensive services and programs loading at boot/Windows start. The problem sometimes goes away for a while after an update to OneCare and may return in the future if something changes again. One way around this is to boot the PC, but do not log in for at least a minute or two. Leave the login screen visible, but don't log in. You'll see that OneCare loads more quickly as it already loaded the system services before you logged in.

-steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Citizen

The short answer is OneCare services are starting up first, it's the monitoring service that starts up late it reports to the security center, so if it starts late security center false alerts till the monitoring/report service of OneCare starts.

chuck

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:35 PM
  • I'll add that the main reason for this delay at startup is typically a lack of resources. Either your PC could use some more memory or you have many resource intensive services and programs loading at boot/Windows start. The problem sometimes goes away for a while after an update to OneCare and may return in the future if something changes again. One way around this is to boot the PC, but do not log in for at least a minute or two. Leave the login screen visible, but don't log in. You'll see that OneCare loads more quickly as it already loaded the system services before you logged in.

-steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:53 AM
  • First, I appreciate the prompt reply.  Second, that does make sense, and you are right about waiting to log on.  Third, HOWEVER, it just doesn't seem right that it should be happening to my Tablet.  It has a 1.2MHz Centrino M and 2GB of RAM.  Besides that I have the startup programs nealy at the bare minimum.  This is due impart to my doing intensive graphics/multimedia stuff on this Tablet, so I am very nit-picky about where my RAM is being used.  Then again, with all I have loaded on here . . . as you said, I probably "have many resource intensive services and programs" starting at boot, despite my best efforts.  This is one of the perks of Windows I'm sure, services and programs running when the application isn't, just to eat up more RAM.  Sorry if my sarcasm offends.  Thanks again.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:40 AM
  • I'm not offended at all. The problem is more apparent on a lower end processor, even with lots of RAM. I've seen this happen on my tablet, which is a 1.6GHz Centrino that also has 2 Gigs of RAM.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:23 AM