none
Money Plus Sunset-The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again. RRS feed

• Question

• I last used Money Plus Sunset on 7/20/16 and it worked fine. I tried to log in today and got this message 'The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again.'.  My PC was shut down that whole time so no updates.  In an attempt to fix I downloaded and reinstalled Money Plus Sunset with no help.  I have changed my Microsoft Live password twice, no help. I have tried every combination of old and new password while checking and unchecking the 'without online access' box, no help.  I have tried importing it into Quicken but get the same error.  I am at a loss and desperately need to gain access to my files.  Anyone have any ideas?

• Edited by lz03 Sunday, August 7, 2016 9:17 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 9:16 PM

All replies

• Try restoring your newest or second-newest backup. That would overwrite the problem *.mny file unless you choose a new name for the restored file.

Monday, August 8, 2016 12:12 AM
  • Tried that, it requires the windows live password to do the restore and it will not take it either.  I have signed out of my windows live account and logged back in to make sure my password still works there, it does.  Thanks!

Monday, August 8, 2016 1:11 AM
  • Disconnect from the internet before attempting the restore. The stored Money credentials are checked as agreeing with your Windows Live ID if you are online - you have changed your Windows Live ID.

After restoring, if you change Money's  access to a simple password instead of a Windows Live ID you will avoid problems with changing the Windows Live ID.

Monday, August 8, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Also, trying to change the password by changing your Microsoft ID (Live ID) password did not help, and had no effect on Money. So after you disconnect from the Internet, use the credentials that were in effect when you saved the file and not what you tried to change them to.

The password part is case-sensitive. Keep a pencil and paper handy in case you remember more about your credentials. That email address is not case-sensitive, and it does not have to still be valid for email purposes. You have to use what you used when you successfully signed into Money last.

Monday, August 8, 2016 12:37 PM
  • I rebooted my PC, disconnected from the Internet and tried to restore my fine in Money checking the box to sign on without 'online services'. It then gives me an error message saying 'Your sign-in information could not be verified. Go online, and then reenter your sign-in information.'

Do you have anymore ideas?  I desperately need access to the file!!!

Thanks!

Sunday, August 14, 2016 4:26 PM
  • I rebooted my PC, disconnected from the Internet and tried to restore my fine in Money checking the box to sign on without 'online services'. It then gives me an error message saying 'Your sign-in information could not be verified. Go online, and then reenter your sign-in information.'

Do you have anymore ideas?  I desperately need access to the file!!!

Thanks!

Your ability to sign in with your Windows Live ID does not matter to Money. The changes you made did not affect what Money will need to get into your file. The email address does not have to be a working email address. It just needs to match what you used previously.

Write down what you remember about your email and password in effect when you last successfully entered your credentials to get into Money.  While disconnected from the Internet, try each of the permutations that you can think of while trying to restore your second-newest backup file.

This may seem to be a repetition.

The only thing I have not mentioned, there may be a program to try the credentials that you list into a file. It can also step through a range. For example, if you knew the password was lz00000glgl through lz99999glgl I think it could try each of those. I am not sure it does the Passport/LiveID/MicrosoftID  method, but if that sounds potentially useful to your situation, I could try to help find the info. It is free. But it is probably not going to be that simple to use. I have not tried it.

Sunday, August 14, 2016 5:22 PM