Unable to back up, "Network Share is in use" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been trying to find a way to back up my files using Windows Live OneCare. The problem is, my backup device is a Netgear SC101. I followed the instructions from (FAQ: (Workaround) How to use an internal hard drive as a backup device in OneCare ) and managed to set it up as a mapped network drive which works great. Only my PC has access to this drive and it has no data on it at all. (I repeated this on an internal drive too using that FAQ above, and got the same exact results).

So i opened OneCare, Changed my settings to point to this new location, and when I attempt to back it up, I am asked to log in. I use my account that has admin privlages and the login window goes away, then I get this error:

The network share is in use
    There is another session connected to the network share
    \\computer\share. To continue with backup, OneCare must close the other session and the task that is using the network connection might fail. Click yes to close the conflicting network session, or No to cancel backup.

Now, there shouldn't be anything else connected to it, as This is the only PC with acces to it. So I click Yes. When I do so I get this error:

Backup cannot continue
    OneCare could not back up files to the network share because the share is currently unavailable. Connect to the share and then try running backup again.

I dont understand why it can't connect. I can easily get in there by opening my computer and double clicking the mapped drive. No password requests or anything, I just slip right in. Why is it so difficult for the program to do that too? I noticed that the software was able to copy a few folders onto the drive called "Windows OneCare Backup." Why not back up the same way?

--EDIT--

Actually i tried to set it all up again and discovered those files are being copied to the drive when I first set it up in OneCare as my back up destination, before it even performs the first back up. While on on the Backup Settings tab, I tried to "Change Credentials" and put my PC username and password in, and I get the error:

Cannot change network credentials.
    OneCare could not change the network credentials for the share
    \\computer\share because the share is currently unavailable. Connect
    to the share and try changing the credentials again.

The problem is, I already was connected to the share.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:14 AM

Answers

• I appreciate your help on this matter. I've decided just to pick up a WD My Book to use as storage for my backups. As it stands my SC101 was on a slow ethernet connection and only had 300gigs., 1 terebyte is much more managable, plus the faster connection is a dream. It was also extremely easy to set up with OneCare. I'll be passing my SC101 troubles on to the rest of my family Wink

Thanks again.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:08 AM

All replies

• I think you may want to look at this thread regarding the SC101, which sets itself up as an internal drive to your PC by way of the Netgear driver - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1862198&SiteID=2

You can also review this open thread, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3310414&SiteID=2, for a litany of problems with using a NAS as the destination for OneCare backups.

I'm not clear on the first paragraph after your "--EDIT--" note. OneCare doesn't copy anything to the destination unless the backup is actually progressing and successful. It can't have copied files to the drive if the backup didn't happen. Are you perhaps using software supplied with the SC101 to perform a backup or copy? OneCare may have created the location for backup when you set it up, but the backup itself copies your data within zip files to a folder within the destination share.

-steve

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:24 PM
  • What my --EDIT-- was refering to was the fact that I was mistaken about OneCar copying the files to the drive. Here is what happened:

1- I setup my Local Drive with a network share.

2- I opened OneCare and pointed my backup location to that network share. (This part was successful and copied the OneCare backup structure onto the disk. That being the folder "Windows OneCare Backup" with sub folders for my computer).

3- I tried to click the "Change Credentials" button and put in my computer Log-in information. This however failed and presented me with this error:

Error Message:

Cannot change network credentials.

OneCare could not change the network credentials for the share
    \\computer\share because the share is currently unavailable.

Connect to the share and try changing the credentials again.

4- I click OK or Yes to get out of the Dialog boxes while saving the change I made to the destination.

5- When i attempted to run a backup I recieved the following Error:

Error Message:

The network share is in use .

There is another session connected to the network share \\computer\share.

To continue with backup, OneCare must close the other session and the task that is using the network connection might fail. Click yes to close the conflicting network session, or No to cancel backup.

6- I clicked the YES button to close the Conflicting network session and continue. Then I got this error:

Error Message:

Backup cannot continue

OneCare could not back up files to the network share because the share is currently unavailable. Connect to the share and then try running backup again.

No data was transfered to the network share. The folder structure was only set up when i initially chose the drive and that step went with out incident. Now, I have access to the network share, I've tested this and I can read/write to that share easily. I even kept a window open to the share while attempting to run a backup and still got the above errors.

I appreciate you submitting the links above, and I did review them. However I didn't see anything that I haven't already gone through in my own testing.

Actually, as I'm writing this I've been reviewing those links you sent me. It occured to me that I haven't set my SC101 as a drive not to back up by OneCare. Is it possible that because OneCare is trying to back the network share up, that OneCare itself is making the network share unavailable as a location to save to?
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Since the SC101 looks like an internal drive to Windows, as far as I know, I suppose excluding the drive from *being* backed up is a good idea. Further, make sure that you are configuring Centralized backup and not backup for a single PC as the Share is on the source PC.

As you may have noticed in the other threads, I'm stymied by the troubles OneCare has with NAS devices for backup. :-(

-steve

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:15 AM
  • I appreciate your help on this matter. I've decided just to pick up a WD My Book to use as storage for my backups. As it stands my SC101 was on a slow ethernet connection and only had 300gigs., 1 terebyte is much more managable, plus the faster connection is a dream. It was also extremely easy to set up with OneCare. I'll be passing my SC101 troubles on to the rest of my family Wink

Thanks again.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:08 AM
  • Well, that seems like a decent workaround and I'm sure that your family will be most appreciative of inheriting the SC101<g>. One day, perhaps, the backup team will make OneCare behave nicer with NAS devices of all flavors and stop giving us headaches trying to make it work consistently!

You're very welcome, too.

-steve

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:06 PM