Log on error RRS feed

• Question

• How can I reset my admin password on Windows home server 2011?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

there are some offline password editors, which would allow you to reset the administrator password on Windows Server 2008 R2 (and therefore also on WHS 2011) and are of course fully unsupported, and I am not sure, if they work also in a 64 Bit target OS.

The most official tool from Microsofts Point of view would be Locksmith, which is part of DART 7.0, which you find in Microsoft Desktop Optimization pack. If you have a Technet subscription, you can download this.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

there are some offline password editors, which would allow you to reset the administrator password on Windows Server 2008 R2 (and therefore also on WHS 2011) and are of course fully unsupported, and I am not sure, if they work also in a 64 Bit target OS.

The most official tool from Microsofts Point of view would be Locksmith, which is part of DART 7.0, which you find in Microsoft Desktop Optimization pack. If you have a Technet subscription, you can download this.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:29 AM
  • I wanted to point out (having just tried it) that locksmith/Dart 7.0 does NOT work with WHS 2011.

I booted Dart from a CD and Locksmith is greyed out saying it only works with an offline supported OS. Since my OS is offline, I can only assume it is unsupported.

I even compiled the Dart boot image using the WHS 2011 install DVD.

very strange.

I also tried the famous UBCD / Offline NT Password editor. It seemed to work without error but on a reboot I could still not access the server.
    • Edited by hatari7800 Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:10 PM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:09 PM