none
windows activation after backup/restore

Question

• Hopefully some one can point me in the right direction. Yesterday I decided to update some of my software. I also decided to do a backup to another HDD installed on my PC, just incase things went wrong after installing updates.

Everything went fine until I tried to burn some files with my DVD RW. My DVD RW would play DVDs but not burn any files. 'disc burner or software not found' message displayed.So I decided to update/rollback the driver through windows, which didn't work. I tried to instal new firmware from Pioneer site, but still my DVD would not burn files.

I then decided to do a system restore to a point I had created before doing any downloads. My PC restored to my created point. Then when I restarted windows I was asked to reactivate windows.

I recived the follwing message.

"since windows was first activated on this PC the hard ware has changed significantly. Due to these changes windows must be reactivated within 3 dyas. Do you want to reactivate windows now?"

Then when I try to reactivate windows Iget the following message

"according to our records the number of times you can reactivate windows with this product key has exceeded. Please enter different product key"

I have tried over the phone but I receive an automated message that my GENUINE copy of windows has been installed on more than one PC. But it hasn't.

I have run the validation tool and everything comes up passed. I can't return the PC to the shop where I bought it because I built my own PC and bought my GENUINE copy of windows and installed it myself. I have my XP CD, but the product key is not accepted.

I only have 3 days to validate windows. What happens if I can't validate windows within the 3 days?

Where do I go from here? I presume this problem started because I did a backup to another hard drive and then did a system restore.

Help!! Please

Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:26 AM

Answers

• Chris:

Apologies for the poor experience you encountered. Could you give me more details about the first attempted telephone activation? I'd like to investigate to see what we need to change in our phone systems to make this easier for users like yourself (i.e. users that need to telephone activate) Smile.

-phil

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Doh. What region of the world are you in? I'll take a look at the activation call-logs to make sure this isn't a wide-spread problem. I'm glad the problem you had is resolved, but apologies for the poor experience you had Sad.

-phil

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:46 PM

All replies

• Problem sorted. I have phoned MS and been given another activation code to install.
    Monday, May 21, 2007 10:51 AM
  • Chris:

Apologies for the poor experience you encountered. Could you give me more details about the first attempted telephone activation? I'd like to investigate to see what we need to change in our phone systems to make this easier for users like yourself (i.e. users that need to telephone activate) Smile.

-phil

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Hi Phil,

I tried to activate by phone but when I tried to key in the numbers I received the above message and then got cut off. I expected to be transfered to C.S. but I presume I wasn't transfered because it was a Sunday.

I then phoned Monday morning. Received another 'sorry we cannot activate windows, you will be transfered to an operator.'

I held on for 10 minutes, no music so I wasn't too sure if I had been cut off or not. I phoned back again and held on 30 minutes and then decided to hang up. I then rang back several times only to find the number engaged.

I finally got through to a human being and the nice lady gave me a new code. And I am now up and running.

I still can't understand why this happened. My DVD RW still won't burn from iTunes or WMP. But will burn from other burning software. I didn't have any problems before I started my updates and backup.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Doh. What region of the world are you in? I'll take a look at the activation call-logs to make sure this isn't a wide-spread problem. I'm glad the problem you had is resolved, but apologies for the poor experience you had Sad.

-phil

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:46 PM
  • England, United Kingdom. I spoke to and American lady on the phone.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:23 AM
  • Hi Phil,

My name is Archis & I'm from India. I bought a new 250GB HDD for my PC & Genuine copy of Windows XP OEM Software. I installed it on the HDD & activated it. Every thing was fine, but then I have 2 HDDs one is the old 80GB & the new 250GB. So I thought lets install XP on old 80 GB HDD & make 250GB HDD slave & use it as a storage. So without uninstalling from 250GB HDD, I installed it on my 80GB, but now it won't activate & giving me 30 Days to activate it & when I booted from 250 GB HDD its saying that there has been a major hardware change in my PC & giving me 3 Days to activate it. Now what the use of buying a Genuine copy if Microsoft doesn't allow the user to install it on any of his HDDs? I have 1 PC & 2 HDDs. & Other bad thing I found out that there is no 24/7 customer care service by microsoft in India. Whatever service is there is from Monday to Friday & from 9:00am to 6:00pm. My office timings are same so when & how am I going to call for help. cause if I'm not at my home PC then How am I going to explain anything to MS cutomer care??? It costs almost 6500/- & thats a big amount for me, so help needed. Thank you.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Hi Archis,

That is more or less what happened to me. But I did a backup to my second hard drive. I think the only way forward for you, is to phone MS. and they will probably give you a new activation key. Not much use though when you work 9-5 and no one answers the phone on Sunday.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:22 PM