Saving the File to Project Server will remove all links to the resources in the file...OLE or DDE Links RRS feed

• Question

• We have a situation where we get an error when trying to link two projects. The link being used is a copy of the finish date in from one schedule and a paste special - paste link to the finish date in another schedule.

Both files were opened as separate files in read/write mode not opened via a master schedule.

The following error appears when you try to save the destinataion file:

Saving the File to Project Server will remove all links to resources in the file.

Do you want to continue?

To continue and lose all resource OLE or DDE links, click Yes

To Stop the Operation, click Yes.

After clicking No and trying to close the file another message appears

This field contains data that is dynamicvally linked to tanother field  or program.

If you clear or change the information in this field, all links included in this lik will be removed.

Do you want to continue to remove the entire link? Yes No

When I choose No and click on the date with the link I recceive the following errer

Project cannot start the server program for this object.

Try the following:

. Verify that the server orogram still exists,

. If the server program is available abd the path is correct, the serv er program may be busy because it has an open dialiog box or is involved with another program.  OK

We are using MS Project 2010 with SP1 and the August and December hotfixes.

Project Server 2010 has the latest rollup applied.

We have a large program with over a dozen files to link, please help!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:52 AM

Answers

• I answered this in your other post. The reason for the error is that your MS project files are linked to a resource pool.

To fix it, go to Resources, share resources and select own resources.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:13 AM

All replies

• I answered this in your other post. The reason for the error is that your MS project files are linked to a resource pool.

To fix it, go to Resources, share resources and select own resources.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Thanks Ness.

I've had a look and I think I can see what you are saying but I don't think it's what we are experiencing, as we are only working in Project Server. We are trying to link two schedules that both are in Project Server. Therefore seperate resource pools don't seem possible?

I've opened MS Project and connected to Project Server. I then open a schedule from the server.

Under Resource Pool only Enterprise Resources is active. Since we are connected to the server, we don't get the other options.

It sounds like you are saying that we could have a resource pool that is not the enterprise resource pool? I can't see how, but how can I tell?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:06 PM