none
investment purchases no being deducted from cash RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed on one of my investment accounts that it was showing more cash then it should have. For some reason it stopped deducting the cost of new purchases from the associated cash account. Of course I then checked my other accounts and found two issues.  The first is that under the Cash Portions Detail, in one account it's showing the wrong cash account..in my SIMPLE IRA in the box for cash portion name it shows Schwab Investment #2 (Cash), a completely different account. I changed the cash portion to Schwab SIMPLE IRA (contributions), entered a test purchase, but still it wasn't deducted. In another account the "cash portion name" is correct but it isn't deducting any purchases nor depositing "cash" from any sales.
    • Edited by Damon21 Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:14 PM

All replies

• Which version of Money?
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:58 PM
  • I suggest that in the investment account register, you switch out of Top Line Only to the All Transaction Details views in the account register. Use CTRL+T. It is a toggle.

The transfer account will show in the third line of the Quantity column. Make the changes. Money should remember for next time.  Click the line, and expect a TransferTo drop-down list.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 1:32 AM
  • Money Plus Home and Business
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:18 PM
  • Not sure exactly what you mean.  Now that I've had a bit more time to look at what's going on, here's a bit more information.

On a retirement account (SIMPLE), on the Portfolio Page, when I click the link at the top (Schwab Investment SIMPLE) I go to the page that shows all of the transactions..no problem there.  When I click the link for "contributions" it shows years of purchases, but at a point in time they stop appearing.

Example on one investment it shows a purchase of 50 shares at $50, deducts the cost from the cash balance. Then 3 months later there's another purchase of 100 shares at $55, but that transaction does not appear in the Account Register for contributions.  This problem exists in several retirement accounts but not all, and in none of my non-retirement accounts. 

• Edited by Damon21 Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:46 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 6:45 PM
  • Not sure exactly what you mean.  Now that I've had a bit more time to look at what's going on, here's a bit more information.

On a retirement account (SIMPLE), on the Portfolio Page, when I click the link at the top (Schwab Investment SIMPLE) I go to the page that shows all of the transactions..no problem there.  When I click the link for "contributions" it shows years of purchases, but at a point in time they stop appearing.

Example on one investment it shows a purchase of 50 shares at $50, deducts the cost from the cash balance. Then 3 months later there's another purchase of 100 shares at $55, but that transaction does not appear in the Account Register for contributions.  This problem exists in several retirement accounts but not all, and in none of my non-retirement accounts. 

I usually would start on the Account List to get to an account register, but I see that you can get there from the Portfolio page.

When you get the register, is each entry one line or 3 lines? If one, press Ctrl+T.  If 3, do you see something other than a quantity number under the Quantity heading?

In the Account Settings, I presume TrackCashTransitions is ticked. Had you un-ticked that, there would have been a more drastic change, I think.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:03 PM
  • presume TrackCashTransitions is ticked yes they are on all accounts

There's one line, I pressed ctrl+t, and it brought up the register with the 3 lines. I went back to the last purchase that showed up, and double clicked it.

It showed the investment, date, amount, price and the transfer account as being the contributions portion of the account.

I purchased the same fund a month later (dollar cost averaging), and it doesn't appear in the register.

Went back to portfolio, clicked the + next to the investment.  The last one that shows in the register in the "transfer from" box shows the" contributions" as where the money came from.  The following month's purchase that same "box" is blank. I used the drop down menu to fill in the box with contributions portion, went back to the register and now it shows up.  I've always entered purchases through the portfolio page, right clicking the investment then clicking "buy" from the pup up menu.  For some reason, the program stopped auto filling the "transfer from" box.

Add on info..took one account that I was having a problem with and filled the transfer box on purchases, cash was still off.  Went scrolling back and found a sale back in 2015 that hadn't transferred the cash to the contributions section, even though later sales had transferred the proceeds.

• Edited by Damon21 Thursday, January 9, 2020 6:41 PM update
    Thursday, January 9, 2020 5:59 PM