Is "Cost Center" a slowly changing field - type 2? RRS feed

• Question

• Project 2010

Say a resource is in cost center 100 for January through March 31. On April 1 they switch to cost center 200. Is cost center in P10 a slowly changing field and is there a way to generate this information in reporting and show their costs Jan-March with cost center 100, and April to present with cost center 200?

If cost center doesn't work this way, is there a suggestion on custom field attributes or another way to track this information so we can report it in this manner? Thanks in advance for your help.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:26 PM

Answers

• AFAIK, The built in Cost Center is not a time-phased field. You might have to use another custom field like 'Applicable months'...Also, the Cost Center field is not available in OLAP Cubes.. Generally I create a custom field called Resource Cost Center and use that for this purpose.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS Blog: http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Michael WhartonMVP Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by LD2009 Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:48 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Hello LD2009

The cost center is NOT time-phased as mention above.  I don't know how you would implement using a custom field either.  Maybe someone will come up with a suggestion.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, The built in Cost Center is not a time-phased field. You might have to use another custom field like 'Applicable months'...Also, the Cost Center field is not available in OLAP Cubes.. Generally I create a custom field called Resource Cost Center and use that for this purpose.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS Blog: http://thinkepm.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Michael WhartonMVP Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:34 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Prasanna.

If you create Resource Cost Center, how do you populate it and at what intervals? I may be misunderstanding you, so please excuse me. Is your custom field accessible in a history or transactional location so you can report on the transition?

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:17 PM
  • Hello LD2009

The cost center is NOT time-phased as mention above.  I don't know how you would implement using a custom field either.  Maybe someone will come up with a suggestion.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:38 PM