Hardware for WHS + Virtual Servers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Building a machine for Windows Home Server, but I'd like to experiment with running some virtual servers on the same box.

Any harware recommendation appreciated.

Thanks

M.

Friday, February 23, 2007 9:55 AM

All replies

• If your plan is to run VMware Server or Virtual Server then my recommendations are the following:

CPU: Dual core CPU (eg. Athlon X2 or Core 2 Duo)
    Memory: 1GB (more the better)
    Hard Disks: As many as you can get, SATA drives preferable
    Video: Any sort will do
    Network: 100Mbps minimum card

When building a vmware or virtual server keep in mind the memory usage for virtual machines. Generally you want 256MB minimum for each virtual machine. Also for the choice of motherboard, choose one with a stable chipset such as a Intel or VIA based chipset.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:29 AM
  • I agree with cyber_256 on the Dual Core front - I do a lot of MS Server product demos on laptops in my line of work and dual core cpu's have a big impact on the real time performance of VM's - nobody wants to demo with (or watch) slow software

If you're setting up WHS in a virtual environment for testing then the dual core cpu probably isn't that important - I'm running it using Virtual Server on a machine with 1.5gb 333 RAM and an athlon XP2500 - not the speediest machine but useful for testing new stuff on.

When setting up the virtual machine make sure you allocate enough disk space - i.e. a dynamically expanding disk of 33GB - WHS requires a minimum of 32GB and will check what the virtual disk has been configured as - you can go as large as the volume you're saving the virtual disk to.  The physical virtual disk with WHS installed is only about 3GB - but will get bigger as you backup PCs.

I'm only testing backups from the host machine to the virtual Home Server so I can't comment on the network card required but the virtual machine can be configured to look like any other PC on the network.

Monday, March 5, 2007 6:50 AM
  • I agree with the posts above.

Make sure you have at least a lot of ram, preferably at least 512 per Virtual machine.
    The minimum harddisk space is 32gb per VM, but if you want to use each machine to full potential, I'd allocate at least 50 - 80 gb per VM WHS.
    For logical reasons a dualcore is of course recommended for multiple VM's.

I myself am running 2 VM's with the above recommended spec's and they all work well :)

Hope this is of some help,

Julian

Monday, March 5, 2007 10:13 AM