no start menu, taskbar or desktop icons. when boot up all i get is my computer folder RRS feed

• Question

• i keep receiving an message (The application or DLL C:\\WINDOWS\system32\IMM32.DLL is not a valid Windows image on my windows xp.  i was downloading MCAFEE and installing a new printer.  i paused installation of the printer until MCAFEE was finished downloading.  then i tried to resume the installation of the printer when the computer locked up.  so i rebooted the computer and that's when i started getting the error message and the desktop icons, start menu and taskbar didn't show up.  all i get is the background and my computer folder.  oh and i can't access the internet.  but i can access the desktop folder where my icons are.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:31 AM off-topic (From:MSDN and TechNet Search Feedback)
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

I would suggest posting your question in one of the

Microsoft TechNet > Forums Home > Windows XP IT Pro > Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) located here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads

Hope that helps.

Have a great day!
    Kiran Polimetla, Tier 2 Application Support, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:59 AM

All replies