Clients are Unable to Sign In to the Launchpad RRS feed

• Question

• This apparently began occuring immediately following the installation of the 8/23/2011 Update Roll-up for Windows Home Server 2011 (KB2554634).  (I had previously installed SP1 on the server.)  If there is a corresponding client WHS2011 update, it has not been pushed down to me yet.

Symptom:  When I attempt to enter my user credentials (they are administrative) into the Launchpad, I receive the following error message:    "The server appears to be offline.  Do you want to sign in to offline mode?"

More Information:

All my clients are Windows 7 x64 SP1 with varying Intel hardware platforms.  Interestingly, client backups are continuing to run and also when I am signed into the launchpad in offline mode, I am able to successfully connect to the server's Dashboard.

<end>

Thursday, August 25, 2011 3:24 AM

All replies

• simple restart or better shutdown and coldstart your clients, in most cases your clients should get the upgrade right after establishing connect to your whs2011... and after that Lanchpad Log-In will work (at last for me ;)
    Regards Tom
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Problem solved.

Tom, you put me on the right track.  I found that on each of my clients I had to remove the client connector ("Uninstall Programs" in Win7 Control Panel then select "Windows Home Server 2011 Connector") then reinstall it (http://[your_server_name]/connect) and all is well. 

I did not need to restart between steps but I did log off and back on after the connector was reinstalled.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Hi, Tretchie

If you installed UR1 in the server, server will push the UR1 update to client after server reboot (server version updated afterwards). Client get the notification from server and update the assemblies there, but its version will not be updated until client reboot. During that phase, there is version mismatch between client and server, and you will see that error message.

So, if you have the UR1 installed in the client, reboot the client manually to make sure the UR1 installation finish. BTW, you should get some notification in client system's task bar to reboot this client.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Friday, August 26, 2011 8:59 AM
  • As I recall, there was no notification on the clients (in the Notification area) to restart the clients, at least none that I was able to witness anytime within about 24 hours after the Rollup patch was installed on the server.  Prior to reinstalling the client software, I had restarted two of the client PC's several times in an unsuccessful attempt to fix the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by cadprofessor Friday, October 21, 2011 6:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by cadprofessor Friday, October 21, 2011 6:54 PM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 4:28 AM
  • I found thsi correct my issues with the lanuch pad error that I was getting.  http://www.wiredprairie.us/blog/index.php/archives/1222

Open service manager.  It seems that there are two services that are set to automatic, but for some reason they are not started.  Look for the following:

Windows Server Client Backup Provider Service and Windows Server Health Service.  I stated each and this allowed the launchpad to connect to the server.  I have rebooted the laptop serveral time and it still is working fine.  Hope this helps.

Friday, October 21, 2011 7:00 PM
  • I found thsi correct my issues with the lanuch pad error that I was getting.  http://www.wiredprairie.us/blog/index.php/archives/1222

Open service manager.  It seems that there are two services that are set to automatic, but for some reason they are not started.  Look for the following:

Windows Server Client Backup Provider Service and Windows Server Health Service.  I stated each and this allowed the launchpad to connect to the server.  I have rebooted the laptop serveral time and it still is working fine.  Hope this helps.

Thanks cadprofessor! My clients have been going offline after a few days, and it turns out that the cause is the two services you mentioned not starting for some reason. Very helpful.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/08c50f7f-4814-4404-b4b0-414c7d53e4a5

Friday, October 28, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Go to the disk management program on the server. To find it type in disk management in the search window and click on the result.  Then go to the disk that is offline and right click.  Check the online command and I believe your issue will be resolved.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:52 AM