How do you stream blu ray movie folders and iso? RRS feed

• Question

• hello all,

I'm searching for a server/NAS that can stream Blu Ray folders and ISO files. I was looking at some NAS but then heard about WHS. I downloaded WHS trial version and I was able to created a shared folder within the Media Connect. My ASUS O'play was able to see the shared folder and plays the whole Blu Ray movie folder without stuttering. PERFECT!!!

Now I'm playing with Vail and I don't see that Vail has Media Connect 2 in the Program Files folder anymore. Adding a new folder for shared and set it as "stream media" in the Dash Board will not work.

Because when I use my O'Play and navigate to the UNpn, and look at the Blu Ray folder, the O'Play doesn't play it when I click Play button. What it does is display all the .mt2s files instead.

Is there a way that Vail can do what WHS v1 with Media Connect? Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:40 PM

All replies

• I stream BluRays from my WHS2011 RC server but as .m4v files (converted using Handbrake)  for compatibility with my TV. Have a look at the WHS Getting Started documentation as it has a list of supported file types for streaming - .mt2s may not be in the list.

Monday, March 28, 2011 3:59 PM
  • It's not in the list nor is ISO.

I like my Blu Ray in the original format and I do not like to sit and wait for it to re-encode into other format. With the WHS v1, Media Connect allows me to shared the folder and stream the whole folder. Since I have spare computer at home, I thought WHS v2 would be nice to have. But if it cannot provide what my needs, then I guess I have to go with a NAS that can.

Thank you for the reply Philip.

Monday, March 28, 2011 4:08 PM
  • The advantage of doing it my way of course is that a typical movie is only say 4 to 8 GB rather than 40GB for the full BluRay.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Maybe can you reach your files by browsing file share (SMB) instead of UPnP/AV

UPnP streaming needs that the server is able to read and stream the file format. Using smb browsing you bypass this and read the files directly on the server.

I see here that O'Play is able to reach smb shared files:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090907222754015&board_id=19&model=O!Play+HDP-R1&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:09 AM