Offsite Backup with SyncToy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone and thanks for your help in advance.  I need to create an offsite back up of several thousand PDF files located on a local server and am wondering if SynToy can be used for this and how this might be accomplished.  The environment on the local systme is a Windows 2003 SBS and the offsite is a Windows 2003 Enterprise with attached NAS devices.  If SyncToy is capable of doing this, how do I go about configuring each folder?  Does the destination folder need to be set up as a Network Place?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, May 7, 2010 2:18 PM

All replies

• If you do not want to use a flash key to transfer the files, you could use UNC network path.

Install synctoy on one machine, let's say your Windows 2003 Enterprise machine. Create folder pairs left folder is SBS files, right one is tha attached NAS devices. Try to use contribute first in case there is any un-wanted delete.

I did not test exactly this scenario before, but you can have a try with a few dumy folder first, before using for your really files.

This is a very useful way and lowest risk in case there are mis-operation.

Thanks,

Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:40 AM