none
Forum icon/bitmap

Question

• After the version 4 upgrade, these forums no longer show the dedicated bitmap/icon in my browser's bookmarks and tabs.  It is just the bland paper-with-the-upper-right-corner-folded one.  I know it's easy to fix, the red arrow worked well before.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:39 PM

Answers

• Checking whether it still exists in msdn forum

It does exist :)

Probably Link tag is missing!!

Arjun Paudel
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:17 PM

All replies

• I got a "real" error message on that one: "The thread was created successfully but the tag was not created successfully".  I typed "version4".  Why don't you just get rid of that 'feature', it is completely dysfunctional.

Ugh.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Hans:

This is just the favicon, right? On my web site it is activated by a line in the head section:

<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="./favicon.ico" />
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Checking whether it still exists in msdn forum

It does exist :)

Probably Link tag is missing!!

Arjun Paudel
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 2:17 PM
  • This looks fixed.  Can't change the thread type and mark it answered.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:18 PM
  • Hans, I've changed the thread type for you, you had problems doing this?
    I'll let you mark as answer.
    Sam Jarawan - Senior Development Lead - Server and Tools Online
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:08 PM
  • I believe that was one of the bugs I saw mentioned in this forum.  The OP cannot change the thread type, only a moderator can.  What is critical about that bug is that the Chinese techs routinely change the thread type with a message to the OP to turn it back into a question when they want to re-activate the thread.

Do any of the bugs we report here ever end up in your bug database?
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Yes Hans they do end up in our database and even some of them get fixed :-)
    This isn't actually a bug but by design, so in these cases we need to ensure it's the right thing to do and that all our partners agree and then try to fit it into a release if the priority it high enough.  Unfortunately we do have a rather large backlog of issues while also our business requirements drive new features each month so we try to grab a handful of the highest priority ones first. 
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Hmm, I would assume you've already contacted all the partners about this when you made the change in version 4.  Did the Chinese group actually agree with it?  How come they are still changing thread type?  Do they even know about it?

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Sam:

Are you really saying that not allowing the OP  to change the thread type is by design?

Even apart from moderators changing the thread type for lack of follow up (to which I am opposed), I would say that 90% of the cases where the OP has selected General Discussion are user error (down from 99% when you had the drop=down rather than the radio button).

So I would say we would be better off without two kinds of thread, since almost all threads are Questions anyway, and almost all General Discussions are inappropriately so named. The number of real General Discussions must be minuscule.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Since this seems like a change you guys would really like, I'll raise the issue up today and see what we can do.

thanks!

Monday, April 27, 2009 5:03 PM
  • That would be great...  I've had several posts changed and just had a back and forth with Figo Fei where he had changed the type and left me the note about changing it back.  He even pointed out that the Change Type button is at the top of the thread.  I thought I was losing what's left of my mind looking for that little button.

Thanks.

J
    http://digitalcamel.blogspot.com - .Net, ILM, SQL and Anything Else That Falls Out Of My Brain
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Original Poster will be able to change type in the May release.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Original Poster will be able to change type in the May release.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh

Thanks, Rob. This will help.

However I still think it is too easy for OP to select Start a Discussion by accident (or through ignorance). There is something wrong when the majority of the uses of a feature are inappropriate,

Speaking of which, any action on self-propose?

• Edited by davewilk Friday, May 15, 2009 12:57 PM added material
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:45 AM
  • The bland icons are back again after the last release.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Hans, it seems to be working for me, which brand MSDN?

Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Never mind, seems localized only to one machine running FF.  Okay on others.

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:02 PM